Search Unity

Which kind of games do you like the most?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imilanspinka, Aug 4, 2015.

?

1. Single Player First Person Shooters

42.1%
  2. Multi Player First Person Shooters

47.4%
  3. Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMO-RPG)

26.3%
  4. 2D Platformers

42.1%
  5. 3D Runners (Temple Run, Minion Rush etcetera)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Logic Games

36.8%
  7. Themed Games (Based on films etcetera)

26.3%
  8. Kind of infinite games like Clash of Clans, Hay Day etcetera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. imilanspinka

imilanspinka

• Single Player First Person Shooters
    • Multi Player First Person Shooters
    • Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMO-RPG)
    • 2D Platformers
    • 3D Runners (Temple Run, Minion Rush etc.)
    • Logic Games
    • Themed Games (Based on films etc.)
    • Kind of infinite games like Clash of Clans, Hay Day etc.
    Also, do you like rather ARCADE games, or SCENARIO games?
    Please vote above, you have 3 votes. Thanks to everyone! ;)

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Is this for you to decide what kind of game to make next or something? Because it's far from a comprehensive list of game types...

My favorite game would be a multi-licensed, freemium, MMO, casual match-three game. So LEGO Batman Clash of Candy Arena, if that were to exist.

3. Ony

Ony

Good ones.

zombiegorilla, Ryiah, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
  4. LaneFox

LaneFox

That list kind of sucks.

5. imilanspinka

imilanspinka

K, make a better one

6. imilanspinka

imilanspinka

Well I don't want to make a "comprehensive list of game types".. just need to know what people like, I am not doing a survey for game development.. :D Edit the list, if you want :D

And yeah, those results are just an information for me, so I can decide, what game to make next, that's right.

7. Schneider21

Schneider21

Well it's just interesting how you've chosen to determine that. I mean, this being a forum for game developers, we're not necessarily in your target market, if that makes sense. Not that people who make games don't also play games, but if you're trying to find out what would be a popular genre to pursue, I don't think our tastes would reflect that of the general masses. If you are specifically aiming at Unity game developers as your target audience, you've chosen a strange selection of game types to choose from., in my opinion.

What kind of games do you want to make? Once you know that, maybe a better strategy would be to find a place where players of those types of games congregate and poll them on what features they'd like to see in a new game of that genre.

To kinda more directly answer your question, though, as I'm currently busting my ass to finish my first game and also a new father, my extremely limited remaining free time is spent playing the big GOTY type games like The Witcher, GTA, etc. So single-player RPGs and Action Sandbox games, at least, neither of which are on your list.

roojerry and Samuel411 like this.
  8. ALaster34

ALaster34

Strategy Games

9. Samuel411

Samuel411

To answer the question at hand, I love hack 'n slash RPG games, less the RPG part and more the hack 'n slash. A hack 'n slash isn't that good to me without a story, games like DmC were fantastic games. One of my favorite ones, Castle Crashers barely had a "story" as you may think, they barely had cut scenes, the cut scenes they did add didn't last more than 6 seconds. They tell the story through the characters, enemies, maps, and art. Arcade hack 'n slashes are amazing in their own way too, they're challenging, unforgiving, and extremely fun to play. They have a different feel to them than modern hack 'n slash games, I don't know what it is though... I guess I should play some more games to find out? :)

I'd suggest adding to your list that you currently developed, it's very limited.

Now to the survey part of this thread, like @Schneider21 said. "What kind of games do you want to make?". Making a game you'll want to play and make will drive you to finish the game otherwise your just doing work. I wish you luck on your future games.

10. chaomian

chaomian

I like the Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMO-RPG) and I also prefer scenario game.

11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Choosing the genre of game you are going to make based on a bunch of game devs opinions is a poor life choice.

Make the game you want to make, unless of course you like losing motivation and never finishing anything, because that's what happens when you make games for other people.

Ony, Ryiah, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
  12. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Right now I'm really feeling Hyper Light Drifter. If I had time to play games, I'd probably binge on Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 for 12 hours straight. If I had a week to disappear, I think I'd try one of those new Minecraft clones.

Also, my favorite games as a kid were Contra, Metal Slug and brawlers like TMNT and double dragon.

I also played GTA3 for a month straight.

I have also completed FFVI.

If you can use this information to devise the perfect game for the market... I'd love to see your math.

13. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Racing Sims

Ony likes this.
  14. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Sports games (Madden, NBA 2K, etc.). Right now I really like Rocket League.

15. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

Life is Strange.

imilanspinka and Zomby138 like this.
  16. minionnz

minionnz

What kind of game do you like the most? If you're making a game that you don't enjoy, I'm pretty sure it will show in the end product.
    The most successful products I've created have been stuff that I wanted/liked/needed. I don't believe that is coincidence.

If you feel a particular type of game would be fun to play, there almost certainly would be other people who are thinking the same thing.

imilanspinka likes this.
  17. kittik

kittik

The genres I enjoy the most aren't on the list.

Strategy, Grand Strategy, City Builders and 4X.

imilanspinka likes this.
  18. imilanspinka

imilanspinka

That makes sense, and is true. Thanks for your advice. :)

19. ostrich160

ostrich160

Why did you say MMORPG? Why not just MMO, or just RPG? I like MMO's, but not MMORPG's.

20. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yeah the vote choices are badly flawed, no MMO (like WoT or WoWS) or RTS? examples seem to tip towards mobile games only.

ostrich160 likes this.
  21. aer0ace

aer0ace

90+ Metacritic games.
    Because life isn't worth wasting on anything less.

Less jokingly, I vote for turn-based tactics games (like Advance Wars, Frozen Synapse(simultaneous, of course) and XCOM) another genre suspiciously missing from the voting choices.