Search Unity

Which is the most used game engine so far?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamesrivard1, Jul 17, 2017.

1. jamesrivard1

jamesrivard1

This is subjective and is entirely personal preference for most people.

I initially used Torque Game Engine and Torque Game Engine Advanced (now called Torque 3D) and at one stage I used Unity and I wasn't happy with the non-source code restriction so I referred explainer video from unity ... I recently (last year) decided to move from Torque 3D to Unreal Engine (when it was still a paid for version) as Unreal Engine had the features I was looking for and Torque 3D was just too far behind other engines like Unity and Unreal Engine.

Since then my team and I have never been happier. Things just work and it doesn't take huge amounts of effort to get the game engine to do what you want for your game ... as long as you understand the basic fundamentals and core concepts.

Our game project is strongly moving to a final release and we have not encountered any show-stoppers that has forced us to change direction ... we want the game to do this ... we code it ... the game does it. The main challenge was understanding replication (this came for free by default with Torque 3D), but once we got the hang of that and made sure we supported it from the start ... the rest was relatively easy.

Right now, I am spending 2 to 3 hours a night after work putting features from our back log in to the game and I am making forward progress every week. There is the odd bug that we encounter now and again ... but this is primarily due to our code and not the engine.

2. Teila

Teila

Would love to discuss this with you but it is the wrong forum. You should delete and move to General. You will get more eyes.

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

Are you asking a question or just expressing your experience with Unreal?

Statistically Unity is the most prolific engine at the moment. It judiciously dominates the mobile and niche platform market, and has a large - growing - share in other platform spaces.

The rest of your post seems more like your personal experience with one specific engine and isn't really related to your post title so it's a little confusing why you even posted this.

theANMATOR2b and Kiwasi like this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

What are you referring to when you say replication? Because my searches, which are admittedly rather lazy because I'm tired, are only turning up posts you've made where you've mentioned this. Seriously how many times have you copy and pasted the same exact post?

https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...far-for-indies&p=285109&viewfull=1#post285109

I would have linked the one from Scirra but it appears to have been deleted which would indicate they thought it was spam which is understandable because it's literally word for word and had nothing to do with Scirra.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Something tells me they're not coming back. They seem to have just posted this thread and then bailed like they did on a handful of other forums.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

We seem to be attracting some really special spammers lately. :p

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

....and here I wanted to talk about that one amazing time where root-motion-based locomotion required engine level tweaking of source code in Unreal 4.

8. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

or that the docs are so incomplete, you have to dive into engine source code just to learn what the F*** a method on the API even does.

landon912 likes this.
  9. LaneFox

LaneFox

Heck, its a daily thing now.

10. Teila

Teila

Silly me, I did not notice it was moved. Yay! Thank you. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Ryiah likes this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Thread was already moved to General Discussion when I posted for the first time.

Teila likes this.
  12. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Not really. Sure for each of us personally we will have engines that are our favorite(s) and others that we greatly dislike. But which is the most used I think that is Unity. And trust me I know very well there are hundreds of others out there and have personally tested probably a few dozen of them in the past few years.

I don't really connect with Unity as much I wish I did but that doesn't change the fact that a huge number of people do.

Thanks for sharing your journey and it's awesome that you found the one that works best for you. That is very important. You shouldn't choose a programming language, game engine or anything else simply because it is the most popular. For one thing it may be most popular for people at a different level of experience than you have. This kind of thing. You truly need to take the time to test (with an open mind) alternatives so you know for sure which is best for you. And you did that. :)

Thing is though I am not sure what exactly the purpose of your post is. Unless it is your way of telling people to take a step out of their box and try others to be sure there isn't one out there that would better suit them.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Deleted User and Ryiah like this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Now when i search for "indie" games on steam or anything and then play 'em, one thing that i get common with most of 'em is that they are "Made With Unity". No Doubt, Unity is the best Game Engine available on the market today (an' i hope it'll be:))
    Unity is used by many, many devs around (even EA used it - CAN ANYONE TELL ME FOR WHICH GAME? :p).

One more thing - If you were to ask this question on any other forum (like UE forums), of course the answers will be - Hey! UE4 is the best engine ever made! So, its basically one way answers that you get - UE fans praise UE, Unity fans praise Unity, and XYZ fans praise XYZ. So, a pro (sorry noob) tip - Try Google (it works :p)

- Another Unity Fan :p

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Actually no, only "evangelists" seem to extensively praise toolsets and even on the UE forums many give praise and crticisms to any toolset available including UE.

Unity / LY and UE all have their strengths and weaknesses, the best game engine is the one that eases the burden for your specific project. It really doesn't matter which one is used the most, especially as it could be used a lot for a scenario that's nothing to do with your own.

Also in terms of commercial use, from what I've heard Epic are earning more revenue than Unity; take from that whatever you will.. In many ways popularity does not equal best.

theANMATOR2b, Deleted User and Ryiah like this.