Search Unity

Discussion Which is the best image marker type/format for ImageTarget?

Discussion in 'AR' started by mikeyrafier98, Aug 29, 2022.

1. mikeyrafier98

mikeyrafier98

As title said, I'm looking for which one is better than the other about use of image marker.
    It can be fiducial marker, RGB-colored image, or any custom marker.
    I'm still looking for by conducting self-experiment, but also I want to know if anyone here have tried or discovered before.

Notes: In terms of using image marker for AR, it's not only fast recognized, but also stable tracking, as we want to acknowledge their position and rotation.

2. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

Refer to your provider's documentation (ARCore, ARKit, etc) for any platform-specific best practices.

3. Stents

Stents

There is a lot of good information here regarding ARCore if you are building for Android:

https://developers.google.com/ar/develop/augmented-images#tips_for_selecting_reference_images

• Color is not used with ARCore
    • at least a 300x300 PNG / JPG (I recommend PNG to avoid compression artefacts)
    • Use arcoreimg to check if it is likely to be recognized well (Though this tool should only be used as a rough guide)

ARKit provide some similar guidelines somewhere. However, in general, image tracking is a lot more reliable with ARKit, so I've found that generally if you have a marker that works well on Android, it should track fine on iOS in most cases.

andyb-unity likes this.
  4. mikeyrafier98

mikeyrafier98

I see.
    That's a good reference for me.
    Thank you very much!