Search Unity

which is better Unity2021 Visual Scripting or Unity 2019 Bolt

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by ronlynes, May 24, 2021.

1. ronlynes

ronlynes

I am going to develop a game using Visual Scripting (Bolt).

But I don't know the difference between Bolt and Visual Scripting.

If you begin the development now, which are you going to use?
    Which has fewer errors?

2. Notso

Notso

Bolt IS visual scripting.

3. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Unity VS is rebranded Bolt. At the core they are the same. That said, Bolt is in maintenance mode and won't get any meaningful updates anymore, only bug fixes. And even when it comes to bug fixes Unity VS receives them much faster than Bolt.

Unity VS, however, is meant to eventually be backwards compatible with Bolt. ie you'll be able to upgrade Bolt projects to Unity VS.

GregMcM likes this.
  4. GregMcM

GregMcM

I've used Bolt in years past (and loved it), but if you are going to start something new, use the Unity VS. It is being updated faster and better.

The biggest problem that I ever had with Bolt is that if I did ANY updates to either Bolt or Unity, something would end up being broken which would cause me to spend HOURS trying to debug. Eventually I decided to abandon Unity/Bolt and start doing some development in UE/Blueprints because of this (to me) 'bolted on' behavior between Unity & Bolt.

I came back to Unity after they decided to buy Bolt and directly support it themselves.

Overall, Unity is doing a very good job of updating VS (Bolt) and it is this reason that I decided to come back to Unity.

FYI, I ABSOLUTELY believe in the concept of visual scripting for many factors. Regardless of what any other developers may say, visual scripting of some sort is the future of development. I can do and have done text-based programming for many years, but I always hated it. Many years ago, I found a visual programming environment called Prograph on the Mac that I just fell in love with. Unfortunately, the company & people behind it couldn't devote more resources to it and it languished. It still exists as Marten, but it hasn't been updated to support new OS's in years. Sorry for digressing.

5. GregMcM

GregMcM

Yeah, I tried upgrading some older Bolt-based projects to VS and the upgrade just won't work. I'm having to redo a current project in VS that I started in Bolt a few years ago right now. I wish it would've just imported, but it is what it is.

6. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

The upgrade partially works if you upgrade to a preview version 1.6+ of Unity VS. It's likely to break your superunits though. Unity are working on it.