Search Unity

Which is better for unity game development, Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dracware, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dracware

dracware

Hello, i have been thinking of getting a ma for unity3d game development instead of using a pc. I was wondering which one was better and why? Thanks

dracware

2. saymoo

saymoo

No differences, the software is the same (unity that is).
    The only advantage i can think of, in relation to Unity, you might have using a mac, is the possibility to publish to the Iphone (target platform).
    Note: iphone publishing isn't free.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
    thegigaraptor likes this.
  3. echtolion

echtolion

Use whichever you prefer.

4. dracware

dracware

what are the differences between mac and pc?

5. ivanzu

ivanzu

They are same PC are cheaper,Mac are more expensive same sh*t just other package.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What is your target platform?

7. dracware

dracware

xbox 360 and wii

8. saymoo

saymoo

Dracware, for both you need a valid developers license given out by Microsoft and Nintendo. (we are talking about approx. 10K USD per license)
    Also you need a special license from Unity Technologies, to be able to publish for those two platforms. (Way more expensive as 1500 USD)
    In your case:
    It doesn't matter which development platform you use to be able to publish for the selected platforms.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The mac is simply better because it can export to all possible platforms while the pc can't.
    Oh yeah. I got my 2 year iphone swapped and my macbook upgraded for free simply because I asked apple.

Don't think I'd get that service from pc stuff. You get what you pay for.

10. saymoo

saymoo

hippocoder,

That strongly depends if you need Iphone support or not. Not everyone is targeting towards Iphone/ipad/itouch devices.
    Conclusion:
    If you don't want to publish to the Iphone, MAC and PC are equal in target platform support.

11. zine92

zine92

Yeah i agree with hippocoder. I mean i would love to use Unity on a mac with widescreen. Why not. And i think Unity on macs are much more smoother and Unity was also a Mac apps initially so i think there should have a better support for Macs. Large Screen Macs FTW.

12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

PC is better

j/k

this thread will self destruct in 5... 4.. 3.. 2... 1..

13. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

If only OSX wasn't moving away from a developer platform and towards a lowest-common-denominator consumer platform I might agree.

I use my i5 MBP when I do iOS development, Windows for everything else. The reality is that assuming you can put together a PC (and as a developer, I'm sure you can google "how to seat a CPU" and figure it out in 5 minutes) you can build a far, far better PC than a Mac of the same price.

You would think Unity/MonoDevelop would work better on Mac, but honestly - Unity works excellent on both platforms - I have zero complaints about the experience on either platform that does not apply to both. MonoDevelop on the other hand runs significantly slower on OSX - I can actually run it faster on my mac by running the windows client with parallels instead of running the native OSX client.

It's really about what you want to do though. If you want to target iOS and you can only afford one machine, you don't have a choice in the matter - get the mac. If you have no interest in iOS or you can accord two computers, there is really no other advantage in the mac court. 10.6 removed the ability for developers to create finder extensions (think shell extensions for explorer in windows) - completely preventing things like TortoiseSVN from existing on the mac platform. MonoDevelop on Windows is just flat out better at this point, Unity itself is a wash, and Windows opens up the possibility of using Visual Studios.

Honestly though, if money is no object and iOS is not a target platform it really comes down to which operating system you prefer. Personally, I used 10.6 for over 6 months as my sole development environment and simply found it to be inferior (for me as an individual) to Windows 7. Sure, it wipes the floor with Windows XP - but it has nothing that can compare to some quality shell extensions and the Windows 7 taskbar for actually improving your development experience from what I could find.

All you are going to get from this thread are peoples personal opinions. The only factual data anyone can give you is:

1: You must use OSX to target iOS
    2: If money is tight, a windows machine capable of running Unity very well will be more cost effective than a Mac machine that can do the same

techtide and rjsarmientocleves like this.
  14. DallonF

DallonF

Well, Unity's designed to run on a Mac, but they did a darn good job of porting it to Windows, so it comes down to what you like, what you already have, and what you can afford (Oh, and iOS support)

15. saymoo

saymoo

yes, it WAS designed for OSX, but not anymore.
    Nowadays it IS designed for both OSX and Windows host platforms. (redesign of core and toolsets, optimized for both equally) :)

16. tertle

tertle

Whatever OS you prefer, anything else said is just personal opinion.

That said visual studio + resharper is amazingly good for c# programming

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

macs are simply better, anyone else is wrong so there +1 and nothing you can do to convince me to to come out of my special bubble.

18. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

For developpement, if you don't need Iphone support, PC are a lot more better! No doubt about that.
    I don't talk about the system itself, but developpement Tool on PC platform are just way more better.

I want a good svn client: don't exist on MAC.
    I want to do a simple thing like fusioning two directories: impossible on mac without an external software!
    etc..

If you want to edit your video or use software like photoshop, choosing a mac is good. But if you want the best tool for developpement: buy a PC.
    ( don't listen to all those Pro-MAC that have biased opinions and never tried developpement on PC)

Choose the right tool for the right task!

19. saymoo

saymoo

But, but... this time, it rotates about Dracware's question, not your special bubble (where can i get one?) :p hehehe

20. Jessy

Jessy

The OS X version of Unity has trackpad gestures, and you can assign your own keyboard shortcuts to all menu items. Windows has Visual Studio.

21. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Kind of depends on the OS you like better.

22. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Option to consider... Coleco Vision Adam (Can anyone remember that? not that I ever owned one :))

Kidding... but yes option to consider
    Get a Mac Pro so you have all the export options available to you... and use Windows on a Virtual Machine to run Visual Studio/Resharper if you want. This way you have both at your fingertips. If you have a dual screen setup have OSX on one screen and Windows on the other.

Only issue here is that you may not be able to double click on a error message in Unity running under OSX to automatically open that specific line of code in Visual Studio. But... I have not really made good use of this setup yet, so there may be more drawbacks that I have not yet encountered.

23. jeffro11

jeffro11

Windows
    • Cheaper to build/buy
    • Visual Studio (Amazing)
    • Autodesk products (3dsmax mainly)
    • More applications with sample code and shaders to play with

Mac
    • Xcode
    • iPhone support
    • Tighter GUI

24. U7Games

U7Games

..Depending what does your game will waste in resources, if you are going to do a powerful game fully of maps and filters go for a computer that has an advanced videocard..

many peoples think that to make game is better to have the last tech hardware but that is false (at least for me), because you will not be able to determine if your final product will run in slower machines...

I have a laptoc pc Aser 4740 GMA Intel HD, and actually my game is not looking like Crysis or something like that, but i think it looks like very fine, and if it runs well with my integrated videocard i have the certain that it will run in various machines ;)

25. buzzanthony

buzzanthony

Mac has Boot Camp Feature-

it allows to install windows 7... on mac. ( Dual Operating System)

On a Intel Windows PC/Lap

u can install MAC OS on it --- but its alot of config... and issues...(never tried before, but its possible)
    :roll:

26. Meltdown

Meltdown

Well considering windows has Visual Studio, and often most of the work done in a game is the coding, I'd say Windows.
    Although for everything else Mac is probably better.

27. ludiares

ludiares

I think this thread was closed yet, and maybe it's not the best thing to revive such an old thread. Now, personally, I prefer mac over windows, but as others stated, in most cases is just a matter of preferences

28. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Windows version has way more bugs than Unity for Mac...
    Looking at you MonoDevelop.

29. Khyrid

Khyrid

If you plan on working on a laptop in a trendy coffee shop in the city whilst wearing tight blood clotting pants and unnecessarily thick black glasses, definitely go with mac.

If you need something reasonably easy to work with but still lets you have control and you need a fair price and don't mind the occasional virus, go with Windows PC.

If you're a hardcore nerd and only care about utility, work in the darkness of your lair and disregard any kind of social life or hygiene, you need Linux.

All above statements are objective fact and not not open for debate. If you disagree, you are wrong, the end.

30. chilton

chilton

The Retina MBP is awesome. I can run the iPhone 5 display size at resolution in a window. On my laptop. Absolutely perfect for people like me, who can't stand sitting at a desk.

31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I have both, and develop on both. Prior to Unity 3 I preferred the Mac because Unity wasn't as stable in Windows, but honestly since 3.0 I haven't noticed any stability difference between the two. If you're going to pick one, I'd base it on which OS you're more comfortable in and support for/by the other tools you use (3D modelling packages, for instance).

Of course if you want to target iOS then a Mac is more or less a requirement.

32. khanstruct

khanstruct

Does anyone actually use MonoDevelop? :/

Anyone else get the feeling that this thread was started as a deliberate attempt to start a flame war? I'm actually really impressed with the replies. You'd almost think there were real live grown ups here.

P.S. Windows all the way. Less expensive. More compatible tools. Visual Studio.

P.P.S. Yes, Mac allows you to build to more platforms, which is a plus. So that comes down to; how much are you willing to sacrifice to build to iOS?

33. Myhijim

Myhijim

Fanboys will probably be here soon xD

But yeah.... What they ALL said about chosing the one that is best suited to your needs.

I find Macs :

- More controlling
    - More of a "Slideshow for work" thing
    - SO SO SO Overpriced.
    - A huge fanboy ideal
    (Proof? : Windows bring out Windows Tablet: No one cares.
    Apple bring out iPad : World goes ballistic.)
    - Not really made for gaming

However Macs:

- Have very extensive battery life
    - REALLY quiet fans and such
    - Very thin
    - Great for the seamless multi-touch gestures

Yeah..... My two cents

34. Democre

Democre

iFan obligatory check in.
    I just want to comment on the extreme "expensiveness" of Apple products.
    The fact is, they are not "SO SO SO Overpriced"
    This ultrabook review shows the mac air right in the middle of the pack as far as pricing.
    This all in one PC review again (if you follow the links because the prices are not on the front of that review) shows the iMac being squarely in the middle as far as pricing goes.
    This http://computers.toptenreviews.com/home/ does show the iMac as being more expensive, but it is the only all-in-one considered in this home computer system top ten. Which means that the other prices do not include the monitor, sound system, webcam, etc...

If you want to develop for iOS, it remains the only option, but it is a comparable price to other systems in its same class. There is no sacrifice.
    The "overpriced" viewpoint comes from people willing to settle for much less because Apple simply does not offer low end machines. It's up to you to decide what's good enough. But Apple is certainly not ripping people off for what they're selling.
    As far as economy PCs go, Apple has the mac mini, which is only $25 more than the price of the Dell mini or $150 more than the Gateway for the benefit of being able to develop to iOS (see the comparison here)

35. Kinos141

Kinos141

Nah.

36. Kinos141

Kinos141

Get what you can afford if you are not publishing to iOS, otherwise, get a MAC. But ultimately, if you can afford it, get both. Why limit yourself? It makes no sense.
    Either that, or Dual boot, Mac OS, and PC OS(XP or WIn 7). Again what's with the choosing?

37. resetme

resetme

OSX u can use the IOS sdk.

Im a huge windows fan for life, But i started my project using OSX. Unity works really reallywell, but some stuff doesnt work that are directly envolved with a 3d Game. That is:

MAYA (get a windows middle mouse button, also maya for mac crash a lot), Imho Windows PC for 3d have better render times and better mods.
    Photoshop plugins for Normal Maps, best plugins are Windows Only.
    Sound FX, i didnt find any work around. So if u want to use FLstudio in full u must use Windows.
    3DMAX, again, Windows Only.
    Visual Studio, Windows Only.
    IPI soft Camera - (Motion capture for Low Budget), Windows Only.
    Zbrush - Both.

Making a game use tons of software, and mostly are windows only. So, if u get a mac u should use bootcamp and expect to use windows more than ur osx.

38. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

This Thread was like 6 months old till it got revived yesterday!

39. khanstruct

khanstruct

hmm... over a year, actually

40. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Code (csharp):
    3. if(MacIsPurchased) Price=Price*2.5f;
    5. if(PcIsPurchased) Price=:D;
    8. Edit:
    10. if(thread>1year)Revive=true;

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  41. Democre

Democre

True, we did get fished in to a necro-bump.
    But I commend the new poster in not starting a new thread. He actually had to have used the search to find it. Which in itself is more than most new posters do.
    Obviously the fact that many of us felt the need to respond shows that, though the thread may be old, people still want to argue about the same thing.

42. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

i guess a mac with bootcamp?

43. Democre

Democre

if you want to develop for iOS, then yes

44. Jaimi

Jaimi

Also if you want to use all 4GB of your 32 bit address space for the unity editor, and if you want unity to be more stable. So if you're working on IOS, or a big project that uses a lot of resources, then the Mac should be preferred. With bootcamp for playing windows games of course.

45. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

well if money isn't an issue you get more covered with a mac, iOS dev in this case.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  46. Democre

Democre

Back to the money and cost perception again... For the caliber of the hardware that Apple is selling, it is averagely priced for hardware in the same caliber. The only gross exception is the macbook (not the air) pricing. Unless you do a lot of traveling development for iOS, than for developing, with Unity at least, it's not worth it.
    It just bugs me that this "Apples are expensive" mantra is perpetually purported, yet is almost completely baseless. It is a stereotype that used to be factually based, if not exaggerated. It just isn't true anymore.

47. SevenBits

SevenBits

I personally prefer Mac, but that's just me.

48. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Oh I agree, but with a PC you can't develop for iOS. So if you are aiming for iOS a Mac is a must and if you are going to pay for a pc and small mac, why not just get a decent mac and use bootcamp instead. That way you aren't stuck with a second rate mac.

49. BigB

BigB

I work mainly with a PC, and i'm a PC person, but luckily I also have a Macbook Pro for testing, etc.
    If I didn't had a Mac, I would have a major problem, my game on PC does not compile anymore, Unity is unable to compile it, I keep getting the "heap size exception" and that's it, nothing I can do about it, I know it's a bug from mono, but the issue is, I'm unable to develop with a PC.
    I tried to copy the entire project to the Mac, and there builds without any problems, perfect build!

50. Nubz

Nubz

This doesn't even matter so much since you can just build for both on either one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.