Search Unity

Discussion Which is better downloading AssetBundles vs Remote Config?

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by mossibat, May 20, 2023.

1. mossibat

mossibat

I need to upload my game to the store and use the analytics data to balance the game. For that I have all my adjustable data into multiple Scriptable Objects so I can read the values from a remote source later. I'm wondering which method that I'm thinking of is better in this case?

1- Use a Remote Config service (like Firebase) and store the data as a string dictionary on that. So every time my game starts should call an API and read the data and update the object. Of course the device should be connected to the net in this case.

2- Make my scriptable objects an asset bundle and upload the bundle somewhere in the internet and load the bundle one time in the game start. After that I can be sure the bundle is cached somewhere in the game directory.

Which method do you think is better for ascii data and can you tell me other pros and cons?
    Thanks

2. AndrewSkow

AndrewSkow

Unity Technologies

I would say use whatever is simplest. If the data can be represented as an reasonable sized text string (e.g. json) and you can host that easily somewhere then that sounds quite straightfoward. AssetBundle can do the same thing but in rather a more indirect way, the main advantage i can think of is that there is the built in caching support. But its main advantage would come for representing Unity objects and types, binary data, platform specific formats etc, so using it for your configuration might be a bit of overkill.

3. mossibat

mossibat

I think so, I did it like what you've suggested. Uploading and downloading a json file somewhere in the net is quite simpler. Thanks