Search Unity

Which IDE do folks use with Unity in Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by GhostOfTarball, Jun 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostOfTarball

GhostOfTarball

When I first started with Unity back in like 2016 or 2017, I tried the Linux editor, but it wasn't quite there yet. Now, it seems like it works even better than Windows (at least the 2018.3.0f2 does). I can finally be rid of Windows forever. However, I will miss Visual Studio, which I'll admit is t1ts on a toaster.

Which IDE do you guys link to Unity in Linux? Do you get the same kinds of benefits that Visual Studio gets in Windows, such as Intellisense and library/namespace recognition? Also, how do you link it? I tried Mono, but I wasn't super impressed, and it came packaged with a ton of root certificates I didn't want.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    dan_ginovker likes this.
  2. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

The best one is Rider. Rider is amazing, even better than VS, but it's not free. Used when I had a free license from my university. Then, VS Code with the right extensions. There is also Consulo. It does an ok job for a small open-source project. It has Unity support. Had tons of fun with it.
    Today, I'm sticking with VSCode. It is lightweight and feature-reach with extensions, but sometimes can be a pain in the ass to set it up.

Ares2048 and ringworldbound like this.
  3. MostHated

MostHated

I have been using Rider for 2-3 years now, I won't use anything else. IMO it blows Visual Studio out of the water. Well worth the reasonable price for personal edition (though I use the suite as I often jump between languages), they have a ".Net" package which is appropriately cheaper than the full suite. After you pay for your first year, you get to keep that years versions forever, and unlike my stupid ISP, the price actually goes *down* each year a pretty decent amount. There is a 30 day trial, if you want to check it out, which I highly recommend. You will not be disappointed.

4. MadWatch

MadWatch

Rider is the least bad I tried and the one I'm currently using.

Pros:
    - works out of the box (unlike VS Code)
    - plenty of options for code formatting and analysis
    - live template feature is sweet
    - license allows you to keep using it even if you don't renew it (but you won't get the updates)

Cons:
    - not a beginner tool
    - not free
    - plagued with minor but annoying bugs

Most annoying is this bug that eat your indent as you type. It's probably never going to be fixed because the devs don't care. VS Code has a similar issue (see here) and it also won't ever be fixed because apparently all C# editor must absolutely eat your indent.

My advise, if you plan to do anything serious with Unity then you should buy a one year Rider license and never renew it after that. You do not need the updates if the devs never fix the bugs.

5. dan_ginovker

dan_ginovker

I came here thinking I'd be the only person saying Rider! Looks like I'm wrong.

Rider is fantastic, but as others said it comes with a price. As a huge fan of other Jetbrains IDEs (like IntelliJ), I don't think I could do without it.

I use Rider on both Mac and Linux, but it's not well supported on Macs.

6. MostHated

MostHated

That is strange, even after running code formatting? Doing that has and does always fix any sort of indent or formatting issues as I specify them in the settings. Never experienced any of these kinds of issues other than these inline defines stopped working in one of my projects:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // @formatter:on
    2. // @formatter:off

7. MadWatch

MadWatch

This happen as I type.

Anoying.gif

You can see on the GIF that, at the beginning all the lines have spaces for indentation. But as soon as I start typing the spaces are removed. This is super distracting and super annoying. The issues has been reported and upvoted by several people but it looks like the devs don't know what to do about it.

Visual Studio on Windows also eat spaces like this. But Visual Studio always keep the caret at the indented position, even if the line is empty, that's why it's not a problem there. I wish Rider would do the same.

8. MostHated

MostHated

I see what you mean. That looks like it might be setting-related, as I just tested doing the same thing you just did and I didn't have that issue. Perhaps you have a code formatter setting of something like "remove whitespace on blank lines" but then also "auto format on closing bracket" (or possibly format on paste, as it might be technically 'pasting' when you select list from the suggestions box), as it looks like it happens as soon as you close the List angle brackets. Which would make one rule call the other and is giving an undesired combo.

9. ringworldbound

ringworldbound

I lost my account-- I guess I should call this one GhostOfGhostOfTarball. I've used VSCode before, and I'll probably stick with it too. Thanks for the advice. I have a couple of apps that I'll be pushing out sometime this year.

10. Ares2048

Ares2048

Consulo and Super Editor, I also tried Neovim with some plugins but for me it was not a good experience.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just be aware you'll have to use a community maintained extension eventually as the official one is deprecated and will eventually stop working. Realistically you should use the community one now as it's receiving updates whereas official hasn't been updated in more than two years.

https://github.com/Chizaruu/com.tsk.ide.vscode

12. ringworldbound

ringworldbound

Thanks, I found some community extension that seems to work well enough. Now, I have another problem, however. It would seem that ios requires xcode version > 14 for any new release, and xcode v 15 is out now. The problem is most of the work on my apps has been with 2018.4.9, which only goes up to like xcode 11, and upgrading versions is not really a feasible option. Do you guys know of a workaround/hack? I've heard of using Unity as a library, but I'm not sure that's the best course of action here. If I didn't know better, I'd say corporate America doesn't want anybody making any money at all.

13. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

It's often possible to use older xcode versions by downloading manually the device support files:

https://github.com/filsv/iOSDeviceSupport

14. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Please create a new thread if you are switching topics. Thanks! :)

sfjohansson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.