Search Unity

Which got's the best pipeline for 3D? Cinema4D or Blender?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by DeepShader, Jan 28, 2015.

1. DeepShader

DeepShader

Hello,
    what is the best software for 3D in combination with Unity? I remember that a file, which is created in C4D is completely imported with appleyed texture in Unity (a big time-saver). Is this a only C4D feature or will this be done with Blender, too?

2. tswalk

tswalk

I don't think it matters... it's really up to personal preference and what makes "you" the better artist.

3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I'm understanding that generally the pipeline will be about the same, as Unity can grab files from both programs and import them(using the actual program behind the scenes). I'm sure there will be differences, just as there is if you manually export fbx files(which is what happens behind the scenes too). The other thing to consider is price. Do you have C4D? And can you afford to buy it? If you can, do you really need it? Or is Blender enough? Blender can do just about anything you need it to for 3d game development, so C4D may not be worth it for you.

4. SteveJ

SteveJ

As in, in general? Or specifically between those two?

Either way, if you search the forum for Blender and/or Cinema4D you'll find lots of discussion about both of them, and their pipeline into Unity.

5. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

There are even more programs then those you mentioned, some are even specialized toward certain tasks or users etc... It is more a matter of personal preference in the end... once you spent years learning art... you'll start to do stuff that require you to tinker with the game engine and different art applications to achieve the final results...

So don't get hung up on a single 2D or 3D package... look around, try different ones, find one that you like to work within right now and just concentrate on learning the basics... you will probably end up scratching your head anyways no matter what you do... You could use the best program in the world but your first challenge will still be to make the model itself... then it might appear upside-down in Unity or maybe the textures isn't showing? Why? The 3D program was showing them... well... that can be because you flipped normals by mistake or you might add a transform by mistake that turns your model into utter garbage in Unity... so you have to go back and figure out what went wrong, fix it and then import it again. Fun, right ;)

So learn, practice and expect it to take time... failures is a part of the process and just look at them as a chance to learn something you didn't know about :)

Also, I highly recommend to every beginner that they take time to visit YouTube. There is tons of tutorials out there where professionals show how they make a knife, character, prop etc... you might also want to look into traditional art topics to learn about colors, shapes, lighting, perspective etc... that will change how you think about art and models, turn lucky results into expected results... ex: combining wrong colors in a texture can turn the best model into something ugly but if you know which color to change and how... ;)