Search Unity

Which game engine do you think was used to make this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Jul 12, 2018.

?

Which game/lighting engine do you think this game uses?

1. Unity

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Unreal

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Other - please specify in thread...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Arowx

Arowx

I just think the lighting model looks good it reminds me of overwatch.

So what game engine and lighting model do you think it uses (at this point in time I don't know either)?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. verybinary

verybinary

I don't think being able to research was the purpose of this thread...

chelnok likes this.
  4. Arowx

Arowx

You get it, what is the difference in lighting models.

For instance, Unity 2018.2 has added new lighting models how do they compare with best in class lighting e.g. Overwatch, Frostbite and Doom (new version).

From Unity Blog -> https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/07/10/2018-2-is-now-available/

What lighting models provide the best results and if you want a game to look like Overwatch or Battlefield 1 then what lighting model should you use?

For example, Unity can now do this...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. Deeeds

Deeeds

Most of what looks like good falloff, in that Unity vehicle demo, is just heavy use of vignetting. Same thing TopGear did for decades to make their cameras look better than they were. Until they were using amazing cameras.

6. Arowx

Arowx

I bet they are using the more realistic or inverse square falloff lighting or more likely the attenuated version.

7. Deeeds

Deeeds

For which lights?

8. FMark92

FMark92

GameMaker Studio 2

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

If the purpose of the thread was to discuss lighting models then he shouldn't have made the thread title and the majority of the original post about guessing the engine. I'm being a little cynical here but it wouldn't surprise me if he made the thread in that manner to attract attention to it but I may just be further misinterpreting the purpose of the thread.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. Arowx

Arowx

I was hoping the game I noticed was made in Unity, as there is something about the Overwatch style lighting model that just looks good to me, then we could discuss how to get a game to look as good with Unity.

Especially now Unity has a range of lighting models to choose from it should be easier to make games that look great and not just that Unity flat lighting we are used to and people tend to recognise straight away.

11. verybinary

verybinary

believe it or not, im the most cynical person on earth.
    but the thread wasn't titled "Do some searching online and let me know how this was made because I suck at the google"

on the other hand, that statement is all I have to offer this thread. I tend to focus on the gameplay, story and mechanics. playing and making. imo, if you care about how real your game looks, another aspect of your game is hurting because of it. if I want realistic, ill watch a movie(yes, even though all our current movies hire "cgi actors")

12. Frienbert

Frienbert

I do not think caring about graphics in your game automatically makes another part of your game suffer, imo

13. LaneFox

LaneFox

If you wanted to talk about lighting models, why not just make a thread about it and reference some sources instead of posting a lame buzzfeed baitclick title and stirring up another engine brand thread?

14. verybinary

verybinary

lets say a game takes an arbitrary 10,000 hours to make. if it takes an arbitrary 9,000 hours to correctly achieve "real life quality" you have 1,000 hours left for story, and polishing controls.
    now lets say you go for a simple stylized game that takes 1,000 hours for the graphics. Your story and mechanics will be a large focus of the project and get a lot more attention.

Why do snes rpgs refuse to die? the amazing graphics?
    Why does The Last of Us look so beautiful, but is only room after room of strategically placed cover. a couch here, a trophy case there...

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

The lighting was achieved by competent technical artist.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't care which engine did it TBH. All that matters is if a game is good or bad.
    Read the rest of the thread I won't comment because it gets on my tits big time.

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Quoting because I can only "like" a post once. ;)

angrypenguin, Ryiah, LaneFox and 2 others like this.
  18. Arowx

Arowx

19. Frienbert

Frienbert

There are games that focus on story and have great graphics like uncharted, god of war, grand theft auto. Most games focus around a certain gameplay mechanic or style and stick to it anyways.

20. LaneFox

LaneFox

Stop posting baitclick titles and maybe you'll get a better response.

angrypenguin, Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  21. neoshaman

neoshaman

This smell sarcasm, but we are dead serious.

The idea that one engine has better lighting than another is all about what's given outside the box, but it's in practice about how much low level stuff you can access.

Since you single out falloff, well... you could make custom falloff since the beginning in unity. In fact, if you don't like how unity manage light you could just write your own version (it's basically passing vectors to shader). I have been using unity since it's free with unity 2, but only has dig in shader since 3, so I can't comment on early version, but you can go back and implement a lof of current advance technique currently in use in these version too.

What you couldn't do was stuff like dynamic shadow in personal edition, you needed render textures and it was gated behind pro payment. BUT you could use custom static shadow by uploading a depth texture doing computation in shader, or you could emulate dynamic shadow using primitives. The other point is that rendering pipeline was locked behind core engine implementation, which mean doing custom deffered was not possible with enough performance, which is why we have now the SRP.

But if you had a specific visual in head, nothing prevented you to do it. I remember unity didn't have access to hardware linear lighting, you could still do pow(fragment, 1/2.2) conversion in the shader manually, 3D texture wasn't exposed, but you could still do bilinear interpolation by hand in the shader using 2d texture like an atlas, it's not efficient, but we are solely talking about looks, not performance.

The engine help or provide a particular look eventually out of the box. But it's not inherent to the engine, the engine saves you time and essentially acting as half a technical artist and being a stealth art director for people who can't afford it or do not understand it.

So a particular looks is always about how competent is your technical artist.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  22. kdgalla

kdgalla

Isn't the source code for UE available? I suppose if you like the lighting model in UE, you could just look at the source and find out exactly what they're doing. Now that Unity has SRP, you could even compare them directly and make whatever changes that you want. I may be over-simplifying it, because I haven't looked into it myself.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nobody needs engine source code to change the lighting, merely mid-level shader competency. That's the lighting. It's just shaders.

Ryiah, neoshaman and wetcircuit like this.
  24. verybinary

verybinary

Haven't played Uncharted. Im pretty sure it was made by the The Last of Us people and follows the same recipe minus the zombies, but reguardless of right or wrong, I cant speak about this.
    God of War on the other hand, has about a paragraph of story. each game in the series has a paragraph worth of story to build on to the series arc. It feels epic because its a multi story arc built on existing epic lore. Don't get me wrong. I love me some GoW, but it is definitely leaning towards making blood splatter everywhere(extremely gracefully). I "would" even argue that the graphics aren't amazing. Would, except for flawlessly rendering all those physics, but ill try to lump this in with "gameplay is the focus"
    GTA? please. Graphics? Story? no. Its huge, with very stable controls, but I wouldn't say graphics are its strong point(gameplay. the cutscenes are alright). Each generation is on par with the rest of the generations games, but still nothing to write home about. And no one plays gta for the story. Go to the mall, ask 100 people to give you a GTA mission. now go home and use your premade assets to assign quest givers and people to kill. Add something about the main character getting revenge somehow, You now have a new GTA game.

Everything in games takes time to make. I just prefer to spend(and play) less on the graphics and more on what makes the game "The Game". In other words, I would hate to make a platformer that looks good, but glitches every time you jump, or giving no reason for the player to want to jump.

25. Arowx

Arowx

For reference it looks like boosting the HDR Skys Exponent gives a very bright Overwatch style, then just add in some bloom and tone mapping and you can get very close to the bright warm Overwatch style.

26. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well if you want to know how to get close to overwatch, google artistic breakdown:
    https://80.lv/articles/henric-montelius-overwatch-style-visuals-with-ue4/
    https://polycount.com/discussion/170394/technical-study-overwatch-image-heavy

In the first article:

27. Frienbert

Frienbert

I am not sure what you consider great graphics then. I played gta on the pc and the graphics were high quality for its time and still holds up today. I also do not think you can fit a novel or movies worth of story in a game. If the story makes you care about the characters then its already better than most games. Every game is unique and I don't think focusing on graphics more makes your game suffer. It just depends on what your game is doing. I understand making a fun game is all that matters and sometimes great graphics will help tremendously.

28. zenGarden

zenGarden

I'm disappointed, i thaugh it was your game :(

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  29. Arowx

Arowx

30. zenGarden

zenGarden

I always avoid games that are wip or with the most simplistic graphics because this minimalist 3D style is definitively not my taste.
    With lot of work on the art side you could reach the same quality as the game posted before.