Search Unity

Which files required for sending a game build?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Denisowator, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Denisowator

Denisowator

I want to send some friends a current build of my game, but I don't know which files I'm supposed to include (other than the obvious .exe file).

I'm asking because all the questions I found on this, are from 2012, and I don't know if anything changed since then.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. T_Man

T_Man

When you build your game it should output all the files you need to the same location. The easiest way to make sure you have everything, is when you click the 'Build' button in Unity and it asks you where you want to save the .exe file, save it to a new empty folder. Everything that Unity puts in that folder during the build process is what you need to give to your friends.

To be more specific, the build will usually create 2 items in the location you specify:
    • [name].exe
    • A folder named: [name]_Data

You need to include the .exe file and that entire '_Data' folder.

Also in the new 2017.2 Unity version, it is creating a 3rd item titled 'UnityPlayer.dll', which also appears to be required to run. Not sure exactly what changed in this newest Unity version and why this file is needed, but I know if you don't include it, the game doesn't run.

ProExCurator and Denisowator like this.
  3. Denisowator

Denisowator

Thank you. :)

xMelissax likes this.