Search Unity

Audio Which engine version should I use to export my Sound Effects Packs to sell in the Asset Store ?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by OGsoundFX, Jan 7, 2019.

1. OGsoundFX

OGsoundFX

Hello,
    I am not sure where to ask this question, but I thought users were probably the best people to answer my question.
    I recently added these 2 sound effect packs in the asset store (Guns & Explosions and Underground Atmospheres), that I have exported using one of the latest version of the unity engine (2018.2.15), and i was wondering if I should re-export them in an older version (like the 5.6), so that game developers using these older versions can acquire them too ? Does that make sense ?

Thanks in advance for your replies !
    Best,
    Olivier Girardot

2. r618

r618

you have just wav (presumably 1-, or 2-channels) audio files in your packages - those are version independent, they are _imported_ into the editor regardless of its version since these are supported probably since Unity 1.0 (alpha)
    I have no idea what you mean by
    though
    Do you mean _submitted_ to asset store ? - That will be the version displayed as 'Supported/submitted' on the asset store page
    So you should submit with lowest version possible - i.e. from lowest Unity version which asset store tools still support

3. OGsoundFX

OGsoundFX

To submit an audio pack to the asset store, I need to export it through the Unity Engine so the sounds are directly usable inside your project.
    But someone on reddit told me this: "I think you might lose purchasers because it might turn people off seeing a fairly recent Unity version there. You might want to consider uploading from say the last 5.6 release available."

4. r618

r618

Yes mate, you indeed have - that's what 'Asset Store Tools' are for and that's what I was asking about and their minimal Unity version support I was implying :
    Good luck !

5. OGsoundFX

OGsoundFX

OK, thank you very much for your help !

6. OGsoundFX

OGsoundFX

oh, by the way, what version should I go for. Is 5.6 enough, or should I choose an even older version ?
    Thanks !

7. r618

r618

You might / should choose the lowest possible, since they are just audio files :) AST should be able to submit from as low as 5.0.0
    Good luck !

8. OGsoundFX

OGsoundFX

Perfect ! Thank you so much !