Search Unity

Which branch / scene to build ? / Wanted to confim input working properly in build

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by Erenquin, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Erenquin

Erenquin

Hello,
    in my own project I implemented the controls using the new input system in a very similar way than done in this project.
    It works perfectly in editor, but not in build.

So naturally I wanted to build this project to see if I got the same issues.
    I tried to build Main and Master branches, but both have build errors.

So which branch / scene should I build ? (if any).

As for my issue, see here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/new...-2019-4-15f1-lts-and-2019-4-17f1-lts.1032043/

I suspect you will have the same issue, so invite someone to have a look and try to build if it has never been done before.

2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

There were some issues on
    main
    but they should be fixed now. The branch
    master
    doesn't exist anymore since a month ago.

I've just done a build and it works, input included. Try pulling the very latest
    main
    . For the record, you should use
    main
    for now but we'll soon create a
    release
    branch which we intend to keep more stable all the time.

3. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

4. Erenquin

Erenquin

Thanks for the reply.
    Actually I cloned the project right before posting to be sure to test with the latest version.
    So indeed when I mentioned "master" it was a mistake, I certainly could not checkout a master branch.
    I'm sure I tested 2 branches, maybe the other one was one of the devlogs one.

I will try at once, but in the meantime I switched my project to the old input system which works perfectly.

5. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

It's a shame, the new input system offers so much more! If you have some time I'd suggest waiting to switch, maybe the team can reply on that thread with more info.

Also, I suggest trying with the default configuration just out of curiosity, to narrow down what seems to be a setup issue.
    Mind you: there must be a bug in there somewhere and it needs to be fixed by us (Unity), but in the meantime I think you can find a workaround.

6. Erenquin

Erenquin

Yes I agree, I would rather keep it as it is more flexible, and I would rather not loose all the time I spent implementing and testing it.

I understood why I could not build the Open project.
    It is built with IL2CPP which requires Windows 10 SDK which I did not have.
    Now I could build it and it works perfectly.
    So there is something wrong in my project probably.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  7. Erenquin

Erenquin

8. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Fun fact: it happened to me the other day too.
    I think it's because I installed Visual Studio outside of Unity, instead of going for the Community edition that Unity suggests. But the nuances of the million versions of Visual Studio will always be a mystery to me :D

9. Erenquin

Erenquin

Huum, I normally let Unity update Visual Studio when installing a new version. But maybe I did not select the SDK in some option somewhere, not aware it is kind of required.
    To tell the truth the 1st time I tried I was not in the mood of reading the wall of text the build produces :confused:

Anyway I have some good news.
    Today I tried to setup the input system through the "player input" component and using a monobehavior input reader instead of the scriptable object.

And this works both in the Editor and the build.

I have spent more time comparing the implementation with the SO in ChopChop and in my project and I really can't see the difference.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    cirocontinisio likes this.
  10. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Glad you sorted it out! Still wondering why it didn't work in the first place.

11. Erenquin

Erenquin

Thanks.
    Well the problem is not fully solved.
    It does not work with the Scriptable object method used in ChopChop, and I would really like to find why. It just runs in my head.
    But yes, I will consider using it with the PlayerInput component.

cirocontinisio likes this.