Search Unity

Which BaaS (backend as a service)?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Mison, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Mison

Mison

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to decide which BaaS (backend as a service) should I choose. My goal is to create a game with Facebook leaderboards (I can't use FB's built-in system because I have more levels), ie. to create FB login, post score to the server and get friends leaderboard, or save some statistics. Additionally, I might want to add gifting or rewarding players for inviting their friends. I've found GameSparks and PlayFab, both of them should be able to do that, but I don't know, which one to choose.

GameSparks (http://www.gamesparks.com/) have good leaderboards system with YouTube tutorials. Creating user statistics seems a bit more difficult, but it should be possible using cloud code. The price is 0.02$ for MAU (first 10,000 are free). As this is my first game, I don't know how much is that.

PlayFab (https://playfab.com/), on the other hand, is completely free. I didn't find such a good tutorial, though. Posting user score is only possible using cloud code (I only want the score to improve), and I think you have to create a separate leaderboard for each level, but retrieving them should be as easy as in GameSparks.

I want to hear your opinion on these (or another) backend services. Thank you all.

2. Patrick-GameSparks

Patrick-GameSparks

Hi Mison,

I'm part of the customer success team at www.gamesparks.com . We are the leading Backend-as-a-Service provider, already equipping developers such as Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Ubisoft and Capcom.

We also have thousands of indie developers utilizing our service to both build their apps/games or take them to the next level. One of those studios, Duello Games, have become a prominent and widely recognized studio after their recent Android /App Store hit, 'islash Heroes'. Their game employs a successful and efficient model of monetization which is implemented completely through GameSparks, using specific core features such as Leaderboards, Segmentation and GameSparks Economies.

The GameSparks platform was designed with all of your above questions in mind, built in a highly scalable and robust manner so as to easily deal with all of these requests and many more.

Here is a rundown of our platforms features:

Core:
    · Cloud Code Editor: (Add Logic, build your own API)
    · Cloud Data: (Define MetaData/Runtime Data Structures)
    · Binary Asset Manager: (Manage DLC, No more waiting for platform holders to approve your content)
    · Push Notifications: (Setup all notifications from one centralized backend, localize global campaigns )

Social:

· Real time and Turn based multiplayer: (Reduced latency, highly scalable)
    · Chat: (Cross-platform chat, p2p and group)
    · Leaderboards: (Rank any aspect of player performance, highly scalable)
    · Social Network Integration: (Pull Data from Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and others)

Economies:

· Currencies: (Up to 6 currencies. Manage rewards to increase retention)
    · Virtual Goods: (Create and manage in-game store without need for client updates)
    · Rewards and Achievements: (Easily manage both, a great way to drive engagement)
    · Optimisation & Management:
    · Analytics: (Completely customizable, build reports for almost any conceivable event)
    · Segmentation: (Group players with Segments for analysis. Optimise monetisation by age, location, anything you want)
    · Experiments: (Make drastic changes to game mechanics and only expose who you wish to those changes.)
    · Player Management: (View player history and summaries of activity. Edit player records, reward top players or remove unwanted players)
    · Dynamic Form Builder: (Custom forms for Community Managers and Game Operators to get the most out of GameSparks)

You can register for a free evaluation account here: https://portal.gamesparks.net/register.htm
    Should you have any questions, one of our dedicated support team is always on hand and can arrange a skype call to delve a little further into each feature we have to offer and how this can impact your project.
    Hope to hear from you soon,
    -Patrick.

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  3. Mison

Mison

Thanks for your answer, Patrick.

I've looked on the websites and I found that both of the services are capable of things I need in my game (and both of them can also do a lot more). However, what I wanted to hear wasn't a list of the features, you have them on your website. I wanted to see some opinions of developers using these platforms and their experiences with them. Or additionally you can point out some of the useful features which GameSparks have and PlayFab doesn't.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

5. Patrick-GameSparks

Patrick-GameSparks

Hi Mison,
    I can do just that, thanks for the clarification.

GameSparks offers the most complete set of backend tools, supplying users with a one-stop-shop to build and manage the entire server-side of their games and apps. For example, GameSparks is currently the only contender to provide a powerful Test Harness that that enables developers to test and debug all configuration alterations on a completely isolated platform before compiling any code on the frontend.

In addition to our broad feature set, we the only multi-cloud BaaS, hosting games on both Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services to ensure peace of mind and reliably providing constant up time. this also allows to easily scale alongside any growing player base.

To top this,we are also leading the way in terms of Global coverage. Recently deploying to mainland China. Having several geographical regions increases the efficiency and reach of our users games, allowing the option to position the game in the most appropriate place according to player base.

All of the above along with our comprehensive feature set are unique to the GameSparks platform and place us far ahead of our competitors.

Regarding customer experience, if you visit our main page, located here: http://www.gamesparks.com/ , and scroll down, on the left hand side you will see feedback from some of our clients. Also, you can visit our showcase page where the same information can be viewed.

Does this give you the info you needed? If you have any other questions I'm happy to answer them.
    -Patrick.

6. Aerhart941

Aerhart941

I don’t know if this helped Patrick but this helped me