Search Unity

Audio Which audio format for unity is the best?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by earcandy, Nov 1, 2018.

1. earcandy

earcandy

Hi,

I am new to unity so maybe my question is a little showing that I am a newbee.

Which audio format do you suggest?

- wav, mp3, vorbis?
    - 44.1 or 44.8 kHz
    - 16 or 24 Bit?
    - bitrate per second?

I have read in another post that Unity plays uncompressed and compressed audi (vorbis), so all imported audio will recoded following the settings. If vorbis files would be recoded to vorbis for the audio stream in unity, I am wondering which settings should work the best for unity. Also if it comes to saving the size of data of the whole content in the game.

Thanks for helping!

Cheers, Bastian

2. leftshoe18

leftshoe18

It really depends on the platform you're targeting. For example if you are making a pc game you should just use wav as it gives the player higher quality audio with the increase in file size not mattering as much since pcs have large storage capacities.

3. hanks234

hanks234

It depends on your target if it is PC/Mac/Consoles or if it is mobile, for PC/Mac/Consoles Unity encodes the audio either as Ogg or Vorbis while for mobile it is MP3. To get the best sound quality, it is advisable to provide an uncompressed audio format in WAV or AIFF (containing PCM data) then leave Unity to do the encoding itself.