Search Unity

Which Ad package do I use?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by richard-kopelow, Jan 20, 2019.

1. richard-kopelow

richard-kopelow

There is the Advertisement package that comes installed by default in any project, there is also the one on the Asset Store. Also, the only documentation I see is for the Asset Store version. So which one am I meant to use? The Asset Store version seems to have more features and was updated in late 2018, so I wonder why this is not part of the package manager?

JustAnotherDude likes this.
  2. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

I'm posting this as my personal opinion. Disable services window integration for Ads and also the package manager integration (remove package from the package manager UI) and use the Asset Store package.

Some embedded (package manager, services window) integrations are still a work in progress and right now the latest Ads SDK version is found in the Asset Store.

3. drndfx

drndfx

@mikaisomaa I had a similar question. I understand this is your personal opinion.

After installing and reinstalling the various Ads, IAP packages, I’m coming to the conclusion that when you install “Unity Monetization 3.0” from Asset Store it actually contains files for both Ads and IAP services.

Is that correct?

In other words, when we turn on Services > In-App Purchasing window, there is an “Import” button. Without clicking on “Import” button, I can directly use “Unity Monetization 3.0” from Asset Store, because it will contain all the necessary files for both Ads and IAP.

Thanks.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No, you need to install IAP separately from the Services window in the Editor.

5. RSH1

RSH1

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

7. CrankyPeacock

CrankyPeacock

On Unity 2019.1.4 -- I can confirm the above fix from @Mika-Isomaa worked for me.

I was having trouble getting IAP Promo to work when I had Unity Ads installed in both the Package Manager and Services Window.

So I removed Unity Ads from both Package Manager and Services Window, then installed the latest Unity Ads package from the Asset Store, which happens to now be called Unity Monetization 3.x.

Now the IAP Promo works. I'm guessing this is because when you have Unity Ads installed via the Services Window or Package Manager, it's being initialised as soon as the game/app starts, whereas the IAP Promo documentation states "When implementing Promos, you must initialize the IAP SDK prior to initializing the Ads SDK to avoid potential issues" which you can't do if Unity Ads is being automatically initialised on launch.

As an aside, hoping Unity can consolidate and clarify both packages and documentation around these features, as they feel a bit fragmented at the moment. :)

8. Cenda

Cenda

What is recommended procedure now? I see that Unity Ads is available in the Asset Store, Services Panel and Package Manager. Please Unity team, make just one working option.

9. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

@Cenda Sorry for the confusion! Ideally you should be using the package manager version if possible, although the asset store version is typically also up to date.

We have lots of users using lots of different versions of Unity in lots of different ways - it's best for everyone for us to keep as many options available as possible.

sbankhead likes this.