Search Unity

Where's the Unity stats page gone?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by monark, Jan 24, 2018.

1. monark

monark

jashan likes this.
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm guessing the same thing that happened for some patch releases. Something with Unity's cdn and caching and probably dns is not working 100% yet.

3. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

The hwstats page was no longer maintained and it was showing outdated information. The link in the blog should take you to the Games by the Numbers report section of the Analytics marketing page:
    https://unity3d.com/solutions/analytics#games-by-the-numbers

While the reports are not a perfect replacement, they do contain some of the same data and often contain more specific insights that were not available on the old website.

I also wanted to mention one Games by the Numbers report that is not listed on the site. We had an analytics trivia session at Unite Austion 2017:

While there is no direct replacement, there are companies that specialize in providing market research about mobile games:
    https://www.superdataresearch.com/global-games-market/
    https://newzoo.com/insights/article...-108-9-billion-in-2017-with-mobile-taking-42/
    https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=IDC_P1332

For PC games, the Steam Hardware & Software Survey is invaluable:
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

4. mcmorry

mcmorry

@ap-unity It's very bad you removed those stats. Even if they were outdated they were still much more useful than other marketing/trending stats out there.

sarebots2, Thaina, mangax and 4 others like this.
  5. QualityJohn_TT

QualityJohn_TT

@ap-unity Removing the HWstats page is a massive loss to the Unity development comunity. That information was invaluable for knowing which mobile devices to target.

xjjon, sarebots2, Thaina and 5 others like this.
  6. hgokturk

hgokturk

One of the worst things can possibly be done is done by Unity.

xjjon, Meceka and YJack like this.
  7. SimuSkippy

SimuSkippy

Terrible decision to remove this information. I'm not interested in hand-picked and filtered information gathered for someone's targeted presentation stuck at a moment in time. It's useless within months. Raw, regularly updated data is such a valuable tool to make decisions on what devices and OS versions to support (which can help resolve a LOT of headaches for independent mobile devs). Thanks, Unity, for making our jobs and our lives more difficult.

MaxStranger7, Meceka, jashan and 2 others like this.
  8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We hear you, and are taking steps to help resolve the situation.

JamesArndt, hgokturk, Meceka and 6 others like this.
  9. dm_bond

dm_bond

I hope UT will change its decision. Statistics was very useful

10. LordDarkon76

LordDarkon76

The information is really useful, and you already have it.

leni8ec likes this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seems like you're missing the point. Anyway, hoping @JeffDUnity3D can update us. I found great use in the old stats page, and absolutely none in the new.

Meceka, jashan, Peter77 and 1 other person like this.
  12. MagicDesignStudios

MagicDesignStudios

jashan, leni8ec and mcmorry like this.
  13. Foriero

Foriero

Yes please can Unity tell me where can I find information what is the average android display resolution so that we can compress our textures accordingly? This is real "shame" for unity to cut down such invaluable information. Please bring it back and make it transparent for developers in portal zone. Thank you, Marek.

dm_bond likes this.
  14. Claytonious

Claytonious

It would be great if these could be offered again somehow.

15. Tomi-Tukiainen

Tomi-Tukiainen

16. Digit_Game_Studios

Digit_Game_Studios

I used those stats for many years in regards to mobile projects, they have been a critical resource for decision making and it's a big loss that you don't capture and report on them anymore. There is nothing like that out there with a such focus on (mobile) games.

That you (bought and) build up an analytics platform and didn't move these over is a mystery to me.

JamesArndt likes this.
  17. hgokturk

hgokturk

Nothing new at all...

JamesArndt likes this.
  18. gracezhu

gracezhu

Still waiting on any news of steps being taken

JamesArndt likes this.
  19. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

We have no new update about the public Stats page.

I did want to clarify that we are not just bringing back the old HW Stats site. The old page was taken down because it was not accurate for numerous reasons. Part of it was maintaining the infrastructure, but also because data is full of edge cases and always needs cleaning. We are going to make sure we handle these issues in the new version so we are sharing more accurate information.

Even if it ends up looking similar, we are creating a new site from an infrastructure and data aggregation perspective. The purpose will be the same as the original: Sharing market hardware trends with developers to allow you to make informed development decisions.

But I did want to let everyone know that we are working on it.

Flavelius, JesOb, trucn and 7 others like this.
  20. Claytonious

Claytonious

Thanks for the update!

21. trucn

trucn

Unity Technologies

Good news! We've brought back some of the data from the old hwstats page in the Operate Dashboard. We have plans to expand our offering in the future and offer more detailed breakdowns and metrics, but this isn't on the near near horizon yet.

If you go to the Unity Dashboard Operate Tab and navigate into any project, it's under Analytics > Market Insights (I know, not super intuitive and don't ask why it's living here :p)
    View attachment 293142

The URL path is:
    https://operate.dashboard.unity3d.com/organizations/<YOUR ORG ID HERE>/projects/<YOUR PROJECT ID HERE>/hwstats

Petr777, Meceka, Claytonious and 7 others like this.
  22. MagicDesignStudios

MagicDesignStudios

Seems good, but will you have some aggregate of these info available somewhere in the future?

23. sovida

sovida

How to get Unity version installation stats?

24. andyz

andyz

25. trucn

trucn

Unity Technologies

The Market Insights page represents aggregated data over the past quarter from devices running Unity games with hwstats turned on - which may be a biased sample as you point out - not all Android devices as Google's data.