Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where's all the creativity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master-Frog, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

One thing that's got me worried a little bit, or maybe just wondering... where's all the inventive, bold, imaginative stuff? Sometimes it seems like everything on here is about the "business of making games" and, in particular, mobile games and, in particular, games that are intended to be released for free.

Seems like there were more zany people on here 5 years ago, more activity, more new faces. What's going on in this community? Has all the action moved someplace else? A lot less wild ambition and energy tbh overall.

Did the mobile indie game thing pass? Is that what it was? I think only me and a few other people actually have any ambitions of making a PC game to begin with.

Other than some negativity, and the same familiar helpful faces, there's not much else I see going on here except ultra-newbie posts and people who make 3 posts and then never come back.

What happened? Anyone know?

Ironmax and Meltdown like this.
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

Maybe the indie-bubble burst?

Everyone who wanted to make games has tried, and most failed, and moved on with their lives. Or they all jumped to Unreal Engine because of the shinies and never came back?

I used to spend a lot of time on these forums, but find myself gravitating more towards Reddit, there seems to be a lot more diverse content and discussion going on there around gamedev.

I don't know, does seem like things have quietened down a bit here though...

appslabs, dogzerx2 and Master-Frog like this.
  3. N1warhead

N1warhead

It's always as the saying goes 'The grass isn't greener on the other side'.. They try to make a game, and one of four options arise.

Option A) They realized the project was too ambitious for them and them alone to work on.

Option B) They built this ambitious project and forgot the most important part - marketing way before release - just to have wasted all that time they spent, so they give up and move on.

Option C) They hit it big and no longer have time to speak with us haha.

Option D) Humanity as a hole is loosing imagination being thrown with so much stuff today, that they forget the essence of imagination.

People think success and creativity is only for the selected few and forget if they try, and do it right, and if they fail - to get back up and try again, because failure is what creates success if you keep trying.

Master-Frog likes this.
  4. SteveJ

SteveJ

I think there's a LOT more new faces these days, and they tend not to stick around, so there's a lot of discussion or new threads concerning beginner topics that more seasoned members have seen discussed a hundred times over and don't bother to respond to.

Maybe everyone that's been around a while has pretty much just seen it all, in terms of discussion, and spends more time working on their games than reading the forum now :)

macdude2, kB11, theANMATOR2b and 4 others like this.
  5. N1warhead

N1warhead

@SteveJ : I could believe that, I've found my self ignoring the forums a bit for awhile, don't respond nearly as much anymore, because as you mentioned: seen it and answered it all so many times over and over - wished people would google before asking questions.

I rarely ask questions, but 9 out of 10 times when I do ask a question, I finally figure it out 5 minutes later lol.

Ryiah and Master-Frog like this.
  6. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Everyone has grown so much. Q.Q

Thanks for the serious replies. ^^^Agree w/ everything above, all.

This was the closest thing I ever had to college, all the in-depth discussions, all the learning and stuff. I guess I'm a WIP guy now instead of a forum troll.

Well, one thing I disagree with... I don't think everyone is spending all their time making games... lol. It's a bone yard of unfinished games out there.

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  7. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yup I got at least nearly 200 almost finished games lol. When I say almost finished, I mean literally almost finished lol.

Master-Frog likes this.
  8. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

I think most of the indie's and hobbyists are probably kind of busy in their day jobs :)
    That is great to have Unity around to help us try new ideas otherwise the whole theory of 3D (Doing things from scratch) is something I think is overwhelming for sole developer.

9. Farelle

Farelle

I could say, that making suggestions of making yet another "pong clone" is probably not really encouraging to be bold and creative :p
    but on the other hand....I didn't care about that and I'm still here and working on making games :p

Master-Frog likes this.
  10. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I've always been an obsessive/compulsive, work-a-holic juggernaut when it comes to creative type things. But guys I have to admit, making a 3D game from scratch, alone . . . for a while there, I thought I may have met my match, reached my limit sort-of-thing. Didn't really see the light at the end of the tunnel for a while, there. I mean, this has been my #1 dream my whole life, and I'm 32-years-old and barely able to do this. Granted I wasted 10 years being a couch potato, but still.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. Billy4184

Billy4184

Because the industry has changed too fast for indies to keep up. The days of turning a 48-hour game jam into a mobile mega hit are over. Games (even mobile games) now require more investment, more artistic and technical skill, more content. If you look at the thread about who is making money with their games, there aren't any casual games there - the two main winners on mobile seem to be a top down RPG and a submarine simulator (both of which are genres that I doubt anyone here would be encouraged to make on mobile) which are sold for money (again probably not advice you'll hear incredibly often).

Mobile hardware is closing fast on PC hardware (or at least a capability that goes way beyond 20 draw calls and 40k triangles), powerful tablets are rivalling PCs from not too long ago, and the combination of larger/better screens and the possibilities of VR/AR are threatening to make traditional easy/low-res game art not very attractive. In short, the industry has moved on from the mobile-hardware-limited casual game era, and into an area which is not very easy for indies to live in.

It's basically what I predicted a long time ago. I've said a bunch of times that I think indies developing for mobile should start focusing on more immersive 3D games rather than the usual simple, casual games (of course, the biggest moneymakers are still very casual, but the room at the top of this hill is shrinking fast, and its sides are getting steeper).

In terms of PC development, it's what I'm really aiming for, and I may have made a mistake going for mobile with my first game (although I think it's worth knowing how it will go). In fact, I see mobile development more in terms of console development than anything else - you have hardware constraints that don't meaningfully impose boundaries on the scope of what you're trying to make, but just make it that much more difficult.

Master-Frog and Meltdown like this.
  12. SteveJ

SteveJ

Yeah, I always figure out the answer to any question I post, right after posting it. It's a strange phenomenon :)

Nevermind that I couldn't figure it out for 10 hours BEFORE posting...

13. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

Looks like I am not alone on this point.

14. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Same.

Anyway...

I think that it's not so much that people are not being creative (I personally am always trying to find the next thing and find making clones repugnant), but more about the forum.

We clearly state again and again that we hate seeing idea posts. Now there aren't any, we're saying "Where are all the creative ideas?!!".

theANMATOR2b and N1warhead like this.
  15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It's the end of the flappy bird era. It's been a while since we've seen a true indie hit. Most of what we see now are hits from small, but well established, studios.

Without the solo hits, there are fewer new developers coming in. Without the flood of new blood, we don't get new devs that hang around in the community. So as older users drop off, there is less new ones to replace them.

The community and the industry are maturing. It's not a bad thing. But it might mean things slow down here some.

Of course, it just takes one popular single dev hit to make game dev sexy again.

Deleted User and N1warhead like this.
  16. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I don't believe that ever existed, except in people's fantasies. Most of the small games that became hits were done by experienced developers. You see people all the time pumping out low quality games built from tutorials and free assets with little or skill, wondering why they aren't making sales. That problem is self evident. The rest is just that there is more and more competition, meaning you have to be better.

As far as the community goes, like anything, it evolves and changes. As a young industry there is a curve to adopters and those entering. 5 years ago when the distribution points and tools first made it easier, the people entering the market were those ahead of the curve, either already developers or really interested in making games. Now we are on the tail, the bulk of noobs today, are those who weren't that serious about it, or doing on a lark or because it is trendy. Basically those last to the party.

18. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit

19. Billy4184

Billy4184

Yeah I don't mean published directly from game jams, but I believe there were quite a few hits that were basically just a polished version of either a game jam entry or at least a jam-style short development cycle focusing on some quirky mechanics over everything else. Cannabalt I think took a week or less, and I read about one in particular which was one of those abstract music-based games, that came from a 2-day jam and turned into a huge success, but I can't remember the name. And flappy bird is also an extremely simple concept, although of course well-polished.

And yes, I think even most of these simple hits came from experienced devs, but they were still well within the technical capability of many people, which made the idea of developing them attractive.

But the problem now I think is that even mobile games are depending more on the flesh rather than the bone - indies used to be able to put together a quirky skeleton mechanic, polish it up with some fairly simple art, and have some success with it, but not anymore, at least not as much as before. Even a couple of years ago when I would look through stuff on the google play store, I'd find that games which attempted to do something more than just casual stuff, such as 3D flying games or racing games, or even haphazard attempts at first person games, would have an unexpectedly high number of downloads. There was one game there that caught my eye which was a 3D space combat game, which had one ship, one scenery and one target (as far as I could tell) was sold for $2 and had 500 downloads.

I think what it comes down to is that while the most lucrative business will probably always be with analytics-driven casual games, the room at the top is becoming very small and very hard to get at. So what indies need to do is identify opportunities that are too small for the big fish to survive on, which, somewhat ironically, is more immersive, story driven games that are not designed around free-to-play, and sold for money.

But that means also that the amount of investment and the scope of indie games will also have to increase a lot.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  20. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I'm sure imaginative games are out there, but it's harder to find them. Mostly unfinished games, personal projects, probably laying in people's local hard drives.
    Full working games that we find out they even exist, take long to make, and many resources, so to justify their existence they need to be comercial, hence play it safe. The bigger the game, the safer it needs to be.

21. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I liked ZombieGorilla's answer because it was what I was going to sort of say... years ago it was more of the people who were cutting-edge and leading the charge or more serious about making progress, and nowadays there's a lot more newbies plus don't forget that Unity almost totally removed the barrier to entry ie price tag, opening the floodgates to just about any level of 'commitment' to come flooding in. I don't think there's necessarily a reduction in the number of people doing imaginative cool stuff, just that there's a lot more other people doing so-so stuff, increasing at a faster rate.

22. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I blame steam. Having just got a pc and vr, it seems like everything is early access, unfinished. Games with the lists of coming soon features out weigh the shipping features. It has become acceptable/normal to release and sell wips.

23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Agreed, the gems are still coming out, just a bit more buried in the noise.

dogzerx2 and metaldc4life like this.
  24. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Might also be a just a difference in the market places, the App Store always has new games like that, small quirky and polished. I never look at play.

25. LaneFox

LaneFox

There was a big uptick a few years ago but a few things happened during that time..
    1. People realized almost anyone could make a game prototype.
    2. "middle class" Indies gain lots of attention as they do neat, cute and obscure things that the big devs wouldn't consider doing.
    3. They ride the social media train to get swag internet points lewt. "the peoples games!", "underdog indies!"
    4. Prototypes land on Steam as Early Access.
    5. Some were cool, brief, fun little games. Most were crap, shovelware, broken, and later abandoned.
    6. People realized this failure and there was a big whiplash to the indie scene. Bad publicity for indies due to asset flippers, early access title volume, underwhelming game quality and oversaturation of the scene in general.
    7. Less people are attracted to the trendie indie and wised up to these shenanigans.
    On the upside, Unity grew substantially during that time and seemed to have attracted more experienced developers who probably don't really communicate as much publicly because they're actually working. Noobs and no-posts still show up and ask really dumb questions only to give up after they realize you have to actually put in work to make something good.

Overall I think there is less "middle class" users than there was before due to all of that, but its all totally subject to change as the industry is hugely flexing in different directions - development is still extremely accessible, multiplatform is expanding, applications are diversifying, vr is clarifying. The growth never stopped, the scene just shifted around to a place where you may not be watching it.

26. Billy4184

Billy4184

And then sit in 'early access' for half a decade without letting anyone know you don't plan to actually finish it...

Maybe so, my point is that from what I can see, based on download numbers, it's much easier to survive financially from a game that provides the polar opposite of a free-to-play experience, and is sold for premium, than it is to try to make these quirky, semi-casual games, which as far as I can tell either become a hit (which are very few and far between) or don't really make anything. I think the only ones who can sort of guarantee a casual player base are studios with marketing power.

I think if for example you make an fps or something for mobile and it's decent and you sell it for $2, then there's more chance of making money than 1000 tries at casual gaming, even though fps on mobile is pretty poor at best.

It basically comes down to my opinion that a) it's best to try to sell premium games and b) people are more likely to shell out money for something that's clearly not casual, and gives them something that casual/free-to-play games don't - whether that's something more complex and niche like a flight simulator, or more atmospheric and immersive like a story-heavy game, or something that attempts to bring something to mobile that not a lot of people think is a great fit, but is kind of cool anyway.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I definitely think the industry moved past the point of simple mobile titles becoming easy hits. There are so many mobile titles released each day that it is nearly impossible for an unknown developer to get noticed in mobile.

In the PC segment, I think the bar for quality/polish/scope has been raised to the point where it might not be practical for a single indie developer to create a hit on his/her own. There are still some types of games within PC where solo indie developers have done well, such as games with either pixel art or blocky art styles. But overall, the industry might be at the point where solo indie devs need to start teaming up more to have a chance at creating a hit PC game.

Oddly enough, there are some really popular games in Steam Early Access. Yes, there are a bunch of unfinished garbage games. But there are also some pretty cool games in Steam Early Access that a lot of people are playing.

For example, here are some titles that are currently in Steam Early Access:
    ARK: Survival Evolved
    Besiege
    Factorio
    PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
    Rust
    Space Engineers
    Subnautica
    The Forest

And of course, Kerbal Space Program was also popular while it was in Steam Early Access.

I kind of wonder if some of the creativity is right there is plain sight, but people don't see it through all of the noise, though. There are a lot of games released each month. Some of them are really cool, but nobody has the time to check out every game that gets released. Even game reviewers cannot do that at this point.

theANMATOR2b and aer0ace like this.
  28. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Surely you mean PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

So dumb.

Anyway, how are you defining creativity? I wouldn't call the horde of 2D platformers I was drowning in a few years ago creative. I wouldn't call the influx of zombie/supernatural survival games we had a few years ago "creative."

29. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, I agree that the all capital letters spelling of that game title is dumb. It is selling really well, though.

I don't think there is only one definition of creativity. There is the simple answer:
    Creativity - the use of the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work.

The original ideas seems to be key in that common definition. When there is a large influx of very similar games, it is more difficult to sift through all of them to find the original ideas.

30. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say how are YOU defining creativity, but how the OP was. How it's defined directs the discussion.

31. Rasly233

Rasly233

They all in jail now because of copy right laws and greedy lawyers.

32. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit

I wish they don't copyright water and air as both can be re-used just like software and art. Actually, using someone's art makes that one more popular, not less moneyful. Whats the point of copyright? I guessed its just to show whos first to generate something. Not a source of income by annihilation. If I used some copyright material and use it in an open-source project, shouldn't it be an advertisement of that? Greedy lawyers? Laws are not copyrighted? Man. Laws should just protect creativity, not attack re-usability. Also laws should be controlled by laws too. Are there any law that protects other laws?

33. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Nobody goes to jail for copyright infringement.

34. Ryiah

Ryiah

35. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Right, that is really only applied in the case of willful criminal intent, like running a business that engages is mass piracy. Infringement of ip in something like an indie game is going to at most get you a c&d.

36. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

The point of copyright laws is to protect people who want to take the time to build and promote something really cool. Take Star Wars for example. I would love to be able to use the Star Wars IP for my games, but I fully understand why laws protect the rights of the IP owners.

If copyright laws did not exist, then there would be no incentive to develop new ideas because those ideas would be rapidly preyed upon. With the Star Wars example, imagine a world with many thousands of varying quality films and games made by every random person. The franchise would be significantly less valuable if anybody and everybody could instantly use the IP instead of having a copyright system.

37. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

And without it, it would also make it easy for large companies to grab and use work from individuals. Copyright protects large and small.

38. Rasly233

Rasly233

Well we have crazy copyright laws in germany. You get to pay thausands euro for every little copyright error and yah there is no jury or any due proces or warning of any kind you just have to pay. I doubt we even have any fair use laws like in usa.

39. Rasly233

Rasly233

Those lawyers that search internet for easy pray will never dare sue big company because they will sue them right back. It is indie developers that are targets. I have even a conspiracy theory that those laws were invented by rich companies to remove any possible competition.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  40. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What's the point advertising material if nobody has to pay for it? Advertising is only useful if it can be turned into revenue. And without IP laws, there is no way to turn IP into cash.

The aim of the game is not to get 'as many people using my thing as possible'. It's to get 'as many people paying me for this thing as possible'.

I assume you've never worked for a large company before? Large companies tend to be very sensitive to IP laws. The reason they don't get sued is because they tend to have legal departments working to make sure they don't make a mistake in the first place. That said mistakes are still made, and there are plenty of major cases between big players.

If little guys are frequent targets, it's often because little guys tend to be less aware of and have less respect for general IP law.

theANMATOR2b and zombiegorilla like this.
  41. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

And in most cases, legal action against small infringers is a cease and desist, very rarely does it result in damages. Large companies spend huge amounts of money protecting their IP, at a cost that isn't recovered. It isn't a money making endeavor. (except in the abstract, long term).

Kiwasi likes this.
  42. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

So, the EU then.

43. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

I feel you 100%. Even for newbies (now intermediate maybe lol?) Like me, it sucks. I come here with a question and it takes days for a response! I remember lurking awhile ago and I definitly notice a decline in activity.

44. Rasly233

Rasly233

There some more possible reasons.
    1. Internet become too popular and attracted sensetive people that started to report every harsh word and cheased all interesting people.
    2. Computer are not evolving as good anymore and don't look as interesting.
    3. Because of rising population competition is rising as well and people are too bussy to talk.
    4. New generations are not creative they just want alcohol and sex.

45. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It could be you've (we've) seen so many different games these past few years they all start to look basically the same. I kind of burned out on the whole thing from this a bit I think. And maybe burning out may be a part of the reason for the decline in activity in general.

I've read posts of people griping about Unity's graphics for over 3 years now. Thread after thread comparing Unity graphics to UE graphics. Perhaps some of those people got tired of waiting and wasting hundreds / thousands of hours "trying" and just switched to UE?

The nice weather is here and may account for some of the decline as well. Big factor for me anyway. Also I was burned out on last year and took a couple month break. Dabbled a bit here and there but more important things are on my mind now. Been thinking about money much more than normal lately. And I see game dev and money being much like buying lottery tickets except game dev requires massively more work for much less reward if we "win".

So yeah with making money (for sure) on my mind I look away from game dev. It is awesome for a hobby something to do for fun. But I'm kind of looking for a way to challenge myself making cash that has a more logical and reasonable criteria for success. Real estate is pretty solid. Stocks, CDs. Buying lottery tickets (lol but compared to game dev... reasonable).

Of course, all of the things others mentioned above as well.

Master-Frog likes this.
  46. Ironmax

Ironmax

I think you put light on something very important. I totally agree with you, where have all the ambitious people gone? Most games now days are copycats or just plane business. Sure there are money in games, but for me dev game is more than just business. I am not rushing to release any of my tittles just yet.

47. Ironmax

Ironmax

hehe, i don't feel competition is a problem, because the quality is mostly low, but the quantity high, more money on marketing is a key, because of the noise of trash out there. The new generation should focus more on quality rather than speed and quantity, because that is what counts in the end, (unless you want to fool some one).

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  48. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I read 80% of the above while scrolling through.

I'm defining creativity as the will to create, a desire that comes from within, rather than a desire to try and make a quick buck.

One thing touched on above is that of people selling WIP's or making a shell of a game then asking for $75,000 on Kickstarter. Personally, I wish nothing good on those people, I think it's all a scam and I put them in the same category as insurance fraudsters and used car salesmen.

It's hard to accept that you can't make a game by yourself and have it sold, when it seems to me 99.9% of all indie developers never make a "complete" game in the first place, not even in the sense of what we had as games in the 90's. I'm just at a loss with all of these nothing games, infinite runners and things that don't even count as a Super Mario Party mini-game in terms of scope and breadth.

Trust me, I know it's difficult, it takes me about an hour to create and refine a single animation for my character at this point, but I don't know what else people expect it to be but work?

I am defining creativity in purest sense, in my view, creating something for the sake of creating, a desire to make stuff.

I just think it's a damn shame that so many people are just half-heartedly making crap games for the sake of trying to rake in some cash. I used to wonder how games like Legend of Zelda pulled so far ahead of the competition, if not just in sales, but also in fanbase/loyalty and I think it just all comes down to the level of passion the developers had.

I like to think that I'm more "Rare" than "Electronic Arts" in terms of how I approach games, but I also understand all-too-well how hard it is as a lone wolf.

I guess it makes sense that people realized they can't do this so they quit. Simple really. Why keep doing something that you're never gonna succeed at?

I still think I'm going to succeed though.

squidbeam, Billy4184 and Ironmax like this.
  49. Billy4184

Billy4184

It's all about that grind ...

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  50. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So, a shell of your former self ever since Microsoft bought you? :p