Search Unity

Where to start??

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Edgare13, May 16, 2018.

1. Edgare13

Edgare13

Hello Unity Community!
    I have just started learning Unity and C#, I was wondering where do people start with when creating a new game! That is why I wanted to ask the big developers who have done it before and can give me some advice on creating my first game!

Let's say I was planning to create a 3D FPS Zombie VR game
    Where would you start with that:

Would you do Character movement first, then the zombie logic and movement, then guns and picking stuff up scripts, then art, then the map.

Like I just want to know where do you start what do you do first, what if you wanted multiplayer, would you implement the multiplayer scripts and components before anything.

I just don't see it yet as to where you can start that it is effective and efficient?

2. jhocking

jhocking

Well there's two parts to my answer: where do experienced developers start, and where should you start?

For an experienced developer, pretty much any of the possibilities you listed could work. There isn't so much a correct place to start, so much as you gotta start with something and then build out. An experienced developer would choose where to start mostly based on whatever let's them start testing and refining soonest. But which things they want to start testing and refining can vary, so again there's no single right answer. I will say it's almost certainly not art, so they wouldn't start there, but it could be character movement, zombie AI, the weapon system, whatever.

That all said, this only matters for an experienced developer. You say you just started learning, so you are not an experienced developer yet. It's fine to have a zombie FPS as your long-term goal, but your short-term goal is simply to gain experience. Forget about the zombie FPS for now and do simpler tutorials to learn and practice how to develop a game.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Ryiah and gamedeveloper0 like this.
  3. gamedeveloper0

gamedeveloper0

Well, first you make a prototype of what you think the game to see if the basic mechanics work, then you start just build upon that, expand and explore over it.

also if it is your first game don't go for a 3D FPS Zombie VR game with multiplayer, make some simple games, and then you will have a clear idea on how to make this sort of game.

also there is another thread with the same name which is really helpful.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/where-to-start.292511/

4. verybinary

verybinary

build the player controller first. that way, you have a way to test out everything else.
    -look around at the world your building,
    -test pickups
    -test enemy tracking
    -etc

don't start the vr part yet, that will get added in later, and definitely not multiplayer yet, just plan for it when thinking about design. start simple. And don't put too much work on the player controller. if you don't know what your doing, you will be discarding lots of player controllers before you make one you like.
    step 1: simple player controller(even use a fps from standard assets) and a plane
    step 2: test scene
    step 3: think "it needs..." and make that
    step 4: return to step 2

5. AndressMartin

AndressMartin

As @verybinary pointed out, probably the best place to start is to have a working player controller, a world that you can navigate around (don't get too fancy here) and start testing the movement. If something feels off or not exactly optimal, you can start researching or tweaking your code to make it more to your taste.

The player movement is what most people suggest, as well as what I always begin with, because gameplay is usually the key part of a game experience. Because of that, it cannot be overlooked. After movement, you probably want to take a look at the shooting, the health system, the animations, etc.