Search Unity

Where to start? - What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EpicTwist, Jun 25, 2011.

1. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

Unfortunately the teaching forum is terribely inactive, therefore I have been driven to a more active forum to post my meaningful (to me) thread. Recently in Unity3D I have created the basics to a simple script (And I really mean, SIMPLE) and the basics to a simple game (And I really mean, HARDLY ANYTHING). I've been following numerous tutorials and unity3D documentation although they do not seem to be the right for me... I have also been lerking around the Unity3D showcase forum in order to get some ideas - where as I have finally relised I have no time to waste there.

Now I believe is the time to stop (re)searching and start learning - by all means building a game. I am pretty much clueless to art and scripting therefore I could really use some helpful tutorials.
    Overall I have been testing, playing and exploring Unity3D. -On the other hand for some reason I have to re-download it due to some error... :(
    Strangely I have been amazed by virtual creation since day one; from creating my own little game websites (which I have made many in the past, both large and small but always pretty, which were never good enough for me so I continued to delete and improve e.g: http://multigames.moonfruit.com - which I pay £50 a year for including another site with it's own domain that is currently somewhat shutdown) to creating games which ranged to a large time of advancement (Which I made games with a simple drag and drop game engine when I was younger).

Please tell me where to start and what to do so that sometime soon I will be able to start creating my own game.
    I may add more things on thus I may have forgotten. By the way, I am only 13 years old - better to start young, huh?
    I do not look forward to making a team (I like to be the overall boss >:]) however I am sure that if I ever make a real game (online) I would most certainly need deputy admins or moderation (in-game mods, forum mods, chat mods).

Despite my future dream, it is only the start for me. I could really, really, REAAAAALLLY (sorry for the caps) use some help. Once again, THANKS!
    :)

2. Muzzn

Muzzn

I was lucky when I started. Why? Because I found this site. Using just the very simple tutorials on there (you could probably work through the lot it 2 hours) you can script a lot of stuff. And then use UA to help with any scripting problems. Oh, and practice. Finish your simple game, and go from there. What got me really interested in Unity was rigidbody physics, had hours of fun making cubes then firing balls at them...

Still, you're young, you still have every opportunity open to you, do not waste your next few years.

3. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

Thank you very much Muzz5. I will look into the site and be sure to learn from it.
    I don't know what a rigidbody physics is really... could anyone explain?

4. Naison

Naison

I can't help you with scripting since it is not what I do, however If you want to learn 3d art I can help,

http://www.blender.org/ a 3d modeling software completely free and pretty well polished you can make your own artwork(models) and bring them into unity.

http://www.gimp.org/ this 2d image editing software also completely free use it to create textures for your models so they look nice.

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/ this is a sculpting software by far the most entertaining way of creating 3d models, don't worry too much about sculpting for a while though as chances are you won't be doing it for anything more than fun for a while. But basically you use it for normal maps however I don't want to flood you with technical crap since you just want to learn some fundamentals.

Best of luck if you have any 3d art questions just PM me.

5. Muzzn

Muzzn

Rigidbody physics is basically...well...normal physics simulated in Unity. So if you drop a ball, it bounces, and stuff. Objects need to have a rigidbody and a Physic (should be Physics, UT) material. Then they will act with realistic physics - so if you fire an object with mass 100 and a speed of 100 m/s into a wall of mass 1, then they're both going to go flying!

6. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

Yeah, I was thinking that. You just solved some of my past problems.

7. Muzzn

Muzzn

Always good to know! :)
    PM me if you need anything further, I wouldn't mind teaching someone someday...

8. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

I don't want to take too much time from someone.
    I'm sure with a few helpful links to tutorials would do the tricks. :D