Search Unity

Where to start to learn about graphics

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Deadcow_, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

I have almost zero knowledge about rendering and batching and how the shaders works. Just patches of knowledge I gained over the years, but nothing close to full in depth picture. Now I working with HDRP and have little knowledge about rendering process and how I may affect it.

The whole thing is scares me and I just don't know how to start to dig it up. But I want to fill this blank areas.
    Maybe you guys will suggest entry point for me, or prioritized list of topics I should cover, or some specific learning material. Every time I stat to search such info there is always some adjacent topics I don't know therefore I feel a bit lost

2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

3d or 2d?

3. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

3d at the moment, but is it differs much with the hdrp under the hood?

4. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

i would say, not worry so much about hdrp, if new to 3d it is more important to get good game mechanic and flat visual style. hdrp can overcomplicate for little to no benefit.

5. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

I don't have much problems with gameplay development and visuals, just want to deepen my knowledge to have more tools on my hands. And also want to learn something new and useful :)

6. Olmi

Olmi

@Deadcow have you tried looking at tutorials by catlike coding? (https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/).
    Even though it's not for HDRP, I bet you can learn a thing or two from there.

Also, if you want to get a better general understanding how 3D computer graphics work, scratchapixel (https://www.scratchapixel.com/) might be good place to look into. Might help you understand some of the concepts used in game 3D engines better.

Then for HDRP specifics I'd suggest you start just reading the source code available and read all the documentation.

7. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

Oh my, I totally forgot about catlike coding! Even though a few bucks goes to his patreon each month :D His tutorials was my entry point for editor scripts. I always skipped his rendering series for some reason and now I see he's got quite a few tutorials on SRP which is exactly what I needed! Thanks a lot for bringing this up.

Scratchapixel looks really interesting. It seems that project is abandoned, but at least 3d basics are covered.

Thanks Olmi, you helped a lot

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

It's not the most in-depth, but even the Unity manual on graphics is good to read:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Graphics.html
    Mostly it describes the tools available in Unity, but it also takes the time to explain the over-all concepts behind these tools, in places.

9. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Superb resources, bookmarked

10. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Nice.