Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to start learning if I already know the basics of C#?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by asafalroy, Nov 8, 2019.

1. asafalroy

asafalroy

I've taken a couple of courses in C# before on Udemy (Mosh's courses for those of you who know) and I'm ambitious to learn to develop games.
    The only problem is that all of the courses and guides out there, at least the ones that I've found, are for people who are completely new to C# and Unity.
    Do you know any courses for people who already know the basics and are considered intermediate in C#? I don't want to go over all of the basics again... Thanks in advance!

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi and welcome,

Why not create a new Unity project and start trying out things in Editor and write code? See what fails, and then try to fix it. You learn best by doing something. You can't learn to ride a bike by watching tutorials, same goes for drawing and many other things.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

4. DaDonik

DaDonik

Make a new project and spend a day or two playing with the editor. Keep the manual open to clarify things when you discover them.
    I would suggest you try playing with some physics. It's fun and requires different components on your objects. That will clarify the most important parts of the workflow. Again, the manual is your friend. Note that we did not write any code up to this point. I think it is important to have an idea of what you are working with, before you can try to understand the API.

Once you want to add things like user input or other code, you should look at some tutorials and keep the scripting API at hand. You will probably learn the most if you just go for it and google anything you come across. Unity is so widespread, that you really do not have to ask any question, it all has been answered before.

And the most important point: Use a decent IDE (VisualStudio / Rider) so that you can jump through the sourcecode and investigate a lot more efficient.