Search Unity

Where to start and end animation in sequence

Discussion in 'Animation' started by BeautifulFish, Jan 7, 2015.

1. BeautifulFish

BeautifulFish

Hi,

I've been practicing my 3d modelling and animation recently, but I'm having trouble with it's smoothness in unity. (Smoothness being that its a really obvious loop)

I have an idle animation where the character smokes, and so far i've got it from:

Standing still > Raising hand to mouth > moving hand away to breathe > Back to mouth > Back to standing still

I want to be able to make animations that are amateur, but at least done properly.
    I've not found tutorials that explain like, the industry standard for creating animations and stuff.
    I'd really appreciate some insight.

Thanks!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

There are several ways to accomplish this and with blend trees some transitions can now be created without having to animate them.

Test out the blend tree & state machine approach (several tuts available how to do this) using only standing still and raising hand to mouth. You may be able to get all the above with only those two animations. Probably will still need the moving hand away animation.

I used to animate idle - idle to walk - walk to run - run to walk - walk to idle. Now if done right and setting up the state machine and blend tree properly the only animations I create is idle - walk - run. An even more sophisticated pipeline with animators and tech artists could probably do with only idle and run, though I don't think the walk would look natural.

Good luck - post a video of your results.

3. BeautifulFish

BeautifulFish

Hey thanks for the reply!

That's a cool really cool idea, definitely seems more of an efficient way to animate. I'll look into blend trees. and I will do!
    Thanks again

4. alicesimmons

alicesimmons

Your imagination about the animated characters is wonderful one and you can check this link to watch some of the animation videos and observe their animations that can help you in your project.