Search Unity

Where to put gameSettings?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by RogueStargun, Jun 1, 2020.

1. RogueStargun

RogueStargun

In vanilla unity, I'd do something like this for prototyping

public class GameSettings: Monobehavior{
    public static GameSettings instance;

}

to store GameSettings for prototyping, while making it possible to edit certain params in the editor (like mouseSensitivity). This probably isn't the best practice, but I was wondering what the proper ECS way to do something similar would be.

2. RogueStargun

RogueStargun

Ok I figured this out
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public class SomeSystem: JobComponentSystem{
    3. GameSettings gameSettings;
    5. protected override void OnStartRunning() {
    7.         // Get GameSettings Singleton struct
    8.         Entity gameSettingsEntity = GetSingletonEntity<GameSettings>();
    9.         if(!EntityManager.Exists(gameSettingsEntity)){
    10.             Debug.LogError("Error! Entity with gameSettings is missing!");
    11.         }
    12.         gameSettings = EntityManager.GetComponentData<GameSettings>(gameSettingsEntity);
    14. }

3. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

You can also just go
    Code (CSharp):
    1. gameSettings = GetSingleton<GameSettings>();
    3. // and there's also option of
    4. RequireSingletonForUpdate<GameSettings>();

4. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

If GameSettings is class IComponentData it should be this.GetSingleton (extension method) as just GetSingleton has struct IComponentData restriction (will be fixed in future)

5. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

Thanks eizenhorn, I've been away from ecs for long time so lots has probably changed on me.

If he's using EntityManager.GetComponentData<GameSettings>(), doesn't that mean it must be struct or can you get class objects the same way now?
    My memory is back from when we had GetComponentObject() for objects and GetComponentData for structs still. Has this changed now?

6. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Yes, that's a valid point, my answer was more to warn, that GetSingleton can be used for class ICD singletons as an extension method (and itellijidea wouldn't show you that until you will use this. for access base class). And same for EntityManager.GetComponentData as it also has the same extension method with class restriction instead of struct.
    upload_2020-6-1_18-53-21.png

7. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

Thanks again eizenhorn. Do you know why there are separate functions for IComponentData class objects vs generic objects?
    GetComponentData and GetComponentObject both return objects from ManagedComponentStore.
    Do IComponentData classes have some special purpose within the api?

8. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

API evolves :) And as @s_schoener told me it's just an oversight when class ICD was added and they added ticked for that task 2 months ago, and eventually, they will change that restriction. It's not a major issue as we have an extension method, and guys working hard on other much more important things, thus we just can use that extension until they'll fix that thing.

9. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

Ok thanks. I'll have to catch up on the current state of the api.