Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to post

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ericj86, Jan 9, 2016.

1. ericj86

ericj86

I posted a thread in game design about designing a game and it got deleted. Where am I supposed to post? and it seems way too hard trying to learn unity with no support. And when I do post on a forum it gets deleted.
    I must say, its really hard to do the most basic thing like make a simple character jump and turn.

I started unity over a year ago and am spending a lot of time at it and have yet to see anything work. It seems like the assets are hard to customize and use and this is all just a hard thing to do.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Right here. Getting Started is the section intended for people new to Unity and/or game development. One thing to keep in mind with these forums is that people frequent different sections. Posting in a thread in a section it doesn't belong not only may get it deleted or moved, but the people who are capable of assisting may not see the thread at all.

Game Design is actually intended for discussing "the theory, practice, and business of designing better games". It's the one that people seem to mistake the most but the others are fairly self-explanatory. General Discussion is more or less the section for things that don't really fit elsewhere.

Have you tried any of the tutorials in the Unity Learn section of this site?

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    JoeStrout likes this.
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Before posting, 1) first read the brief description under each forum category that you see at forum.unity3d.com, and 2) read the stickies at the top of the category that you choose. For example, the Game Design category has several, including "What belongs in this forum" and "Read before posting". None of this is difficult at all, but you do need to read the things that say "read this". Note that General Discussion is clearly labeled "not for tech support". It's for general Unity and game-related discussion, such as "Should Unity send Pro users a pony?" and stuff. (Note: just an example, not a real topic. But maybe it should be.)

--Eric

4. ericj86

ericj86

I took the time to read what each section was about and thought game design and "It's for general Unity and game-related discussion" meant that kind... so "General Discussion" is where it should be?

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If it's about tech support, then no. Scripting questions should be posting in Scripting, graphics in General Graphics, etc.

--Eric