Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to learn C#?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Mystical, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Mystical

Mystical

My friend and I are new to Unity but we do not know much about a preticular programming language but would love to learn C# for Unity. Where could we go to learn Basic to Adv information for C#?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Ryiah and LaneFox like this.
  3. LaneFox

LaneFox

Can confirm, worked for me.

4. Mystical

Mystical

With so little Tutorials though, i'm not sure what is good info and what isn't. Should I just take it all in lol? Is there anything useful books worth buying?

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

6. orb

orb

C# is C#, so some of the 8.5 million results out there should work. The .NET features in Unity are roughly the equivalent of .NET 3.x, minus a few libraries, but basic tutorials probably won't demand any advanced and unsupported features from the core language.

7. Mystical

Mystical

Eh, been looking with my friend and we haven't come across any huge informal page just small quick information but kk, shall go search more, Thanks~

8. Schneider21

Schneider21

Knowing how to search is a great skill that will help you while developing. Since this question gets asked (and answered) here every other week, I'm guessing you didn't discover any of the threads from this forum, either.

Just typing "Unity C# tutorials", the top result is Unity's scripting tut series, the second is a forum thread pointing to a resource, and the third is catlikecoding, another great and often-referenced learning site. Just go down the list and go through every single link until you're satisfied.

Alternatively, the links LaneFox provided are great and will get you well on your way.

Ryiah and JoeStrout like this.
  9. A_Sloane

A_Sloane

10. sadsack

sadsack

11. RharryR

RharryR

Youtube. Period. Youtube is the answer to everything :D Go check out some channels like TheNewBoston and see if you can find any csharp video tutorials. With that one search box you can learn anything. Free.

12. orb

orb

Videos are horrible for programming tutorials. Better get text tutorials. I don't get this frickin' obsession with everything being a video.

13. RharryR

RharryR

Depends. My opinion is videos.

14. jhocking

jhocking

It's hard to tell what you were saying; do you already know how to program? In that case, personally I'd say don't bother learning C# by itself before diving into Unity. Just get some Unity learning materials that use C# (for example, my book Unity in Action) and then you'll just pick it up as you go.

15. RharryR

RharryR

Very good idea. Also if you are new to coding I suggest you learn simple language like lua or basic before c# to help root in your skills.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

just buy a C# book and read it comprehensively.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

holliebuckets and starlock like this.
  18. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Start with the learn section. Then use MSDN.