Search Unity

Question Where to go next after running the Lobby sample? How to make the game scene.

Discussion in 'Lobby' started by Moopra, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Moopra

Moopra

I have some experience on Photon and Unet and have made several games with them.
    Now I'm interest in the new Lobby and Relay and hope to switch to them.
    But after I have finished running the demo , I don't know what's the next step so I can learn to code the actual multiplayer game. Regards.

2. Unity_Brandon

Unity_Brandon

Unity Technologies

Hi Moopra,

Once you review the sample app and learn a bit about how it functions, I recommend checking out the documentation for both Relay and Lobby to learn how to implement them from scratch. From there, it depends upon the type of game that you want to make. If you are making a game that needs to occasionally send data and can handle non-persistent connections (such as a card game), you can stick with Relay for your networking. For something more heavily networked, you may want to check out Netcode for Gameobjects / NGO. If you're looking for something more general, Unity Learn has a ton of great resources too.

3. Moopra

Moopra

Thank you very much . If I want to make a matchmaking game to match 4 player to compete with small minigame like running to the goal point. Should I use Relay then?

4. Unity_Brandon

Unity_Brandon

Unity Technologies

For that type of game, I would recommend primarily using Netcode for GameObjects. Things like Lobby, player scores, match state, etc., can be transmitted over Relay, but if you need to have multiplayer characters synced with one another in real time I would use NGO. Hope that helps.