Search Unity

where to find VR controller models

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by RB_lashman, Sep 3, 2020.

1. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

i was wondering - is there somewhere a "standardized library" of VR controller models i could use? or would i have to model all of them from scratch and hope i get close enough (without actually owning most of them)?

i know steamVR/openVR has a few models in the files, but from what i can see it only really has the Vive controller model, and not much else (not even the Index one)

2. Tobias3112

Tobias3112

I would be interested in that question too.
    Is it legal to use the models from Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\rendermodels in an actual product?

PatHightreeXVR and RB_lashman like this.
  3. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

probably ... but also there is only really the Vive controller model in there ... nothing else of use, sadly :(

4. colinleet

colinleet

All of the Oculus controller models are still available with the legacy Oculus integration framework for 2018.x ... As part of the standard Oculus SDK they should be fair game to use.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    RB_lashman likes this.
  5. Tobias3112

Tobias3112

We do not want to use the Oculus Integration or SteamVR in our project, instead we try the XR Interaction Toolkit from Unity. Is it still legal to download the Oculus Integration, take the obj files of the controllers and delete all the other stuff from the framework? And taking the Vive Controller obj from SteamVR?

RB_lashman likes this.
  6. colinleet

colinleet

I'm no lawyer. No idea about SteamVR, but their SDK probably has controller models too (IDK).

Oculus's license included sample content, and says you can use any of the SDK in part or whole in commercial content...

https://developer.oculus.com/licenses/pc-3.3/

There are a few conditions but basically as long as you're not hacking the platform, spreading malware, defaming Oculus or their IP, being generally nefarious, sublicensing the SDK content without written permission, or using "the Platform Services for mission critical, life saving or ultra-hazardous activities", using it in a non Oculus supported app... I wouldn't be worried.

If you're super concerned have your lawyer read their EULA.

RB_lashman likes this.