Search Unity

Where to download the Standard Assets for Unity 2018.2

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by adamz, Aug 5, 2018.

1. adamz

adamz

How do I get the standard assets like the First Person Controller for Unity 2018.2? I use to be able to select Asset > Import Package but it doesn't seem to come with it anymore. I also can't find it in the Package Manager either. Do I need to download the Standard Assets from the store?

Thanks.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. You're supposed to be able to download the files via links on the archive page but they appear to be broken.

3. archonic_josh

archonic_josh

Would anyone like to chime in with a fixed link?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

What's wrong isn't the link (in fact if you check the other downloads they're all coming from the same place meaning the link is just fine) but the fact that the file simply isn't there. Your choices are to either use the Asset Store or wait for Unity to fix the problem we've told them about repeatedly (hint: it's a fix that won't happen).

5. XiradGamer

XiradGamer

I just downloaded them from the Asset Store.

6. jmortiger

jmortiger

Hi, I tried downloading them from the asset store too, to no avail. Can anyone upload their installer if they still have it or post a good link? BTW, Ryiah, you said Unity has been notified about this problem before; did they ever respond? Do you have the links to those posts?

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Latest one is July 31st, 2018. It's not the greatest example but they have posted in the threads where people have said it.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/not-able-to-download-standard-assets-from-unity-archive.542744/

There are others but the remainder of my post makes them rather moot at this point.

While searching for example posts I came across someone mentioning the presence of a valid link to the assets in the beta release notes for Unity 2018.1. Checking the release notes for the stable release of Unity 2018.1 resulted in the link below which is working on my end.

http://download.unity3d.com/downloa...aller/UnityStandardAssetsSetup-2018.1.0f2.exe

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    wilalemao and Alfix like this.
  8. dragonfax

dragonfax

How is this download link still broken a month later?

I can download the 2017 standard assets from the store, but they the scripts all sorts of problems in Unity 2018.2.9.

I'm on a Mac.

mbennett5 likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

10. garrach

garrach

the last standard-assets-2018 was in the unity 2018.1.9f2 sorry :(

11. rickblacker

rickblacker

How do we use the First Person Controller and the various Water assets now?

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's water assets are ancient (though that might be good for mobile). Here is an open source asset that is far better.

https://github.com/huwb/crest-oceanrender

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  13. rickblacker

rickblacker

Hi Ryiah

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out. How is the performance in comparison to Unity's water? Even better, about two years ago I purchased Aquas, I haven't used it since. How does it compare to that?