Search Unity

Where to download the Standard Assets for Unity 2018.2

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by DigitalAdam, Aug 5, 2018.

1. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

How do I get the standard assets like the First Person Controller for Unity 2018.2? I use to be able to select Asset > Import Package but it doesn't seem to come with it anymore. I also can't find it in the Package Manager either. Do I need to download the Standard Assets from the store?

Thanks.

KevPaulMarkwell likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. You're supposed to be able to download the files via links on the archive page but they appear to be broken.

ellyCloud likes this.
  3. archonic_josh

archonic_josh

Would anyone like to chime in with a fixed link?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

What's wrong isn't the link (in fact if you check the other downloads they're all coming from the same place meaning the link is just fine) but the fact that the file simply isn't there. Your choices are to either use the Asset Store or wait for Unity to fix the problem we've told them about repeatedly (hint: it's a fix that won't happen).

5. XiradGamer

XiradGamer

I just downloaded them from the Asset Store.

6. jmortiger

jmortiger

Hi, I tried downloading them from the asset store too, to no avail. Can anyone upload their installer if they still have it or post a good link? BTW, Ryiah, you said Unity has been notified about this problem before; did they ever respond? Do you have the links to those posts?

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Latest one is July 31st, 2018. It's not the greatest example but they have posted in the threads where people have said it.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/not-able-to-download-standard-assets-from-unity-archive.542744/

There are others but the remainder of my post makes them rather moot at this point.

While searching for example posts I came across someone mentioning the presence of a valid link to the assets in the beta release notes for Unity 2018.1. Checking the release notes for the stable release of Unity 2018.1 resulted in the link below which is working on my end.

http://download.unity3d.com/downloa...aller/UnityStandardAssetsSetup-2018.1.0f2.exe

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    AtheneNoctua, wilalemao and Alfix like this.
  8. dragonfax

dragonfax

How is this download link still broken a month later?

I can download the 2017 standard assets from the store, but they the scripts all sorts of problems in Unity 2018.2.9.

I'm on a Mac.

mbennett5 likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

10. garrach

garrach

the last standard-assets-2018 was in the unity 2018.1.9f2 sorry :(

11. rickblacker

rickblacker

How do we use the First Person Controller and the various Water assets now?

KevPaulMarkwell likes this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's water assets are ancient (though that might be good for mobile). Here is an open source asset that is far better.

https://github.com/huwb/crest-oceanrender

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Honorsoft likes this.
  13. rickblacker

rickblacker

Hi Ryiah

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out. How is the performance in comparison to Unity's water? Even better, about two years ago I purchased Aquas, I haven't used it since. How does it compare to that?

14. Abhishekthepro

Abhishekthepro

is standard assets is available for unity 2019

15. alirazabrame

alirazabrame

My unity is not showing package options. its only show custom package when i click on import package. see my screenshots

Attached Files:

16. Petomai

Petomai

Unity used to be so easy to use. They've made it very difficult to install, difficult to use. I couldn't even find an installer for Unity without using the Hub, now I can't find assets. @_@

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Thats not package manager. Those are asset packages. Yes a bit confusing. To manage Package Manager packages, go to menu Window/Package Manager

AtheneNoctua likes this.
  18. Pixull175

Pixull175

Can somebody help me my asset packages aren't being shown ?

19. unity_7XNlHt2o6jL61Q

unity_7XNlHt2o6jL61Q

I have a same problem. How can I do? Just wait?:(

20. ArthyShow

ArthyShow

Same problem here too.. I have the last version of whatever you want (unity, hub, standards assets,..) and I tried by importing all the Standards assets directly into my project (beurk..) but nothing appear into the menu :/

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Open the Asset Store by clicking Window -> Asset Store. Once it's open type "Standard Assets" into the search bar at the top of the store. Click the relevant entry in the search results. From there click Import.

22. AtheneNoctua

AtheneNoctua

Will the 2017 assets work in 2018?

23. warrenSOLID

warrenSOLID

just to chime in (because this has eaten a couple hours of my time). i don't see any "standard assets" package from Unity Technologies in the asset store. seems they removed it in the year 2018?

However, they have a git hub where they are developing/offering "Standard Assets: Character Package (BETA)"
    (but this depends on the Input System. which has been in preview since 2018? still not locked?).

(but i found a youtube video with a link to the old .unityPackage file on google Drive. so for the moment i'm putting this all back on hold. i just wanted to slap some controls into a quick WebGL build. didn't want to re-learn the entire concept of FPScontrollers and Input Systems. (and for a couple hours my team was debating whether it was time to ditch Unity, since it seemed Unity was turning it's back on the whole concept of simple solutions. and simple switching(s) between platform. I believe Unreal is even worse. but. maybe time to re-investigate that?)

(+ simple switching between VR platforms DOES SEEM to have mutated into a whole nightmare recently. but i guess that's a diff topic) (but my core need for unity is : develop a Rift app, and ALSO spit out a webGL version for students who don't have VR hardware. Starting to get pressure to support Quest instead, and Index Controllers(openXR?). and i'm starting to cry inside).

24. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. It was only just recently that they removed it from the store. You can still download it from outside the store.

http://download.unity3d.com/downloa...82.1363260497.1585477476-657908197.1585477476

Like I mentioned elsewhere I believe the microgames are intended to be used the same way as the Standard Assets, and the fact that the download personal link takes you to a page where they suggest you start with one of them backs this up.

Unity is referring to it as a "preview" but it's basically a "release candidate". You could very easily use the new Input System now without any worries.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Mark_01 and MikeBastien like this.
  25. MikeBastien

MikeBastien

Going forward, in reverse...

26. LowVoltage

LowVoltage

Just came here while trying to find out why I don't have a character controller on this installation. Wtf Unity lol.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    KUFgoddess likes this.
  27. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

No more free standard assets for you guys. Want to develop games - pay Unity for assets and lessons.
    Unreal Engine looks better and better.

AlexMLab likes this.
  28. Tarantel

Tarantel

29. Tarantel

Tarantel

2018/2019/2020 Versions never exists.
    If u use the 2018/2019 Version of Unity u are easy able to bypass the errors by fixing the simple code errors.
    If u cant fix this simple changes in the Code u need to change your Hobby xD

30. PlatinCreator

PlatinCreator

me too! mac and scripts don't load

31. Honorsoft

Honorsoft

Unreal hasn't looked better than Unity for years, you barely hear anything about Unreal online anymore, even Adobe's Mixamo dropped support for Unreal and supports Unity instead. Microsoft is also working with Unity recently. I use Unreal, and I am aware that many users are unhappy with Unreal's technical issues and industry-stagnancy.

By the way Unity still offers the Standard Assets and free assets for Unity are everywhere and keep growing rapidly, shows how little you know about Unity and game engines.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  32. mailumarumar01

mailumarumar01

33. stonstad

stonstad