Search Unity

Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Lauthai, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Lauthai

Lauthai

I am going to be making a risk type game in unity3d so 2 players will have to be able to see the same thing, like if one player is invading a country. Each player can see updates based on what the other player does, like in an mmorpg you can see the other characters moving around. Where would you start in making it so that the two players can connect to each other and then see the "updates" that the other player is doing?

2. knr_

knr_

Networking libraries. Unity has one of their own, and in Unity 5 (or some later version of 5) I think they are going to have a new networking architecture.

As of Unity 4's networking architecture, its basically one line to create a server. After that its a few lines to request a game list, a few lines to join a server, etc...

To make a game object "networked" you add a NetworkView component on it and that should take care of it.

After that you should probably read up on Remote Procedure Calls (RPC for short).

Hope this helps.

3. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

@Cockaoo2X - How good are you at programming? Online features have a tendency to be a bit of a pain in the behind when you are new to game development. If you simple look for a multiplayer game and is new to all of this, will a shared screen game maybe be enough until you learn more?

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Try flappy birds or space invaders first, before you go for anything networked.

That said Photon has some nice tutorials. I also here good things about Bolt.