Search Unity

Where to begin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Professor GIBS, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Oh my... I am new to unity, and wanted to get started. Where to begin, where to begin.​

INTRODUCTION TO POST
    Hello guys I've been trying to use unity for almost an entire week now, and my only progress so far is learning how to fix the Unity Asset store error. I just keep creating maps, and deleting them because they just don't feel right. I don't know all that much about programming, esspecially C#. I am currently learning programming HERE & going to college within this year to learn almost all Programming Languages.

MAIN BODY
    I've been looking all over Google, Bing, YouTube, and Unity3D of course for tutorials of how to get started. I'm not going to lie, I've found a lot, but... I feel like none of it fits me. I have learned some of the basics like how to build a floor, people, and houses. My problems with that are, I don't know how to color the floor, make the First Person player look like a person, and I can walk through the walls in my house. Do you guys see my problem? I can make it look good, but just cannot make it all work together. I've tried downloading items from the Unity Asset store, a lot actually. Some of the items I've downloaded were;
    I really hope at least one of these were a good pick. After getting these I ran into a few problems, I didn't know how to use GameDraw what-so-ever. World Builder came with tons of errors I was not prepaid to spend days or weeks trying to fix. Shanty Town 2 was the best although I couldn't edit it the way I wanted the game to be, it was practicly finished. FPS Control looked the best on the fourms but again, came with more errors than I knew what to do with. Sorry if I sound like a critic here, but this is just my opinions. If I am just not doing something right, please just come right out, and let me know. After I got past trying these sort of things, and I thought I was ready to start from scratch... AGAIN. I did, I made my entire player starting location. But, deleted it after I started to walk through walls, and couldn't figure out how to color anything. I was about ready to give up, throw my idea away, and just blame it on Unity. I cannot point fingers all my life can I now? Haha, so I decided to see if I could possibly get help from you guys. I know this was a lot to read, and probably strained your eyes, I am sorry. Thanks for reading.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR
    If not all of you, most of you that actually read this are wondering why I posted, and what exactly I am looking for.. A Unity Tutor maybe? Not like someone professional that takes a while to get a hold of, but someone who is a common user of Unity, and is good with it. Someone who really doesn't mind helping others, and is willing to answer the dumbest questions. (Like how to color objects :p)

Personal Post

I am only 18, and I already know what I want to do with my life... PROGRAM. Wether it be programming games, software, websites or whatever else. I know it's what I want to do. I would really just like someone who won't bore me to death while showing me the basics, and more advanced exciting parts of programming through Unity. Again, thanks for reading.

2. randomperson42

randomperson42

Say hello to your new best friend, Google. Unity has an active community and there are few problems to which you can't find the answer by doing a quick Google search. The same applies to a YouTube search if you want a tutorial.

To simply "color" an object in Unity you can change the color of that object's material in the inspector. If you want to do more 3d modelling or texturing, you should be aware of Blender and GIMP (both free) if you're not already.

3. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Okay, I appreciate you commenting. Let me put it this way, I have no idea how to use the inspector. In the top left of it I believe there is a color thing I tried but.. No luck. Also, I have Photoshop CS6, does that work all the same?

4. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

No, it does not work the same, some parts are somewhat similar, some aren't. To get a grasp of how Unity works take a look at the tutorials here http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules. First look at the Editor tutorials to learn the basics, then look at the scripting tutorials and whatever you want to learn next.

Also, I suggest you learn the basics of Unity before you download or buy assets. Even if they do appear to do a lot of the work for you. You really should know your way around the basics of Unity, because you'll probably need it to properly utilize those assets anyways.

Enjoy and good luck.

5. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Yes, Photoshop CS6 does work and is in fact, much better. GIMP is also a great tool and the best part is, it's free.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the forums. You will surely get a magnificent answer from us addicted forum users.

As for learning C#, the Unity tutorials will not be sufficient. You may want to buy a book or two and read it up. [Herbert Schildt's C#: The complete reference]
    Also refer to the Unity documentation. It's a god send for newbies and professionals alike.
    http://unity3d.com/learn/documentation

6. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Thank you both I am looking into everything you guys have said, I have seen "Blender" before used by Quill18. I already downloaded, and am learning how to use it. Thanks guys for all the help, any more keep it coming!

7. derkoi

derkoi

If you can't learn from the plethora of information on the internet then you're going to struggle. Learn to take what you need and ditch what you don't need. Have some self confidence and keep trying, if you want it enough you'll put in the effort & time and you'll get the hang of it. Sure some people are natural at it but most are not.

Check out the demo scenes of the packages you downloaded, look very closely at the game objects and what scripts (components) they have on them. Try disabling some of those & see what happens (use the checkbox at the top left rather than delete so you can enable it again easily).

Good luck!

8. robhuhn

robhuhn

I just found a great tutorial site: http://cgcookie.com/unity/ Although I'm using/learning Unity since v1.6 I think I will also look into it - Learning never stops.

Actually I would recommend starting without any frameworks or assets from the asset store. It's important to learn the basics first.

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

So you can't program but have decided to do that for your whole life? And you're going to college to become a programmer when you have only dabbled slightly in Unity?

Are you for real?....

10. robhuhn

robhuhn

I think this is beyond question :)

"Anyone can dabble, but once you've made that commitment, your blood has that particular thing in it, and it's very hard for people to stop you."
    — Bill Cosby

11. Arowx

Arowx

OK I would recommend starting with some really simple games, quite simply because every game gives you a set of problems to solve and the smaller the game the quicker you should learn to solve those problems. Think of it like training for a Marathon, you need to be able to run a mile before you can run 26 miles.

Try the Pongy Jam challenge -> http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/pongy-jam-challenge.253909/

Pong is one of the simplest of games, but have you tried making it?

12. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Okay thanks to all of those who at least tried to help! Again, anything else to help me get started keep it coming!

13. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

My advice? Think SMALLER! Forget 3D worlds and avatars and models. Start with the SIMPLEST idea possible - a square. Or even better, download the Unity Tower Defense tutorial (free), and make your own game. Use the assets they've provided, and see what you can do. Try, fail, improve. Repeating that for years, is the shortest path to success.

Good luck,
    Gigi

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Could you give a link to this? I have a friend who would be interested in this.

15. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

I have a PlayList on YouTube showing the game development pipeline in very simplistic terms. Unity only features near the end of the series. For an overview you can watch this (about two and a half minutes). It might give you some idea of the scope of being a solo game developer.

16. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Oh thank you guys so much. I am starting with something small, I am designing my very own house. Quite easy, my problem is I want it done in a day haha. I know now, to make it look good... It takes time. I'll be posting some stuff here on the forums tomorrow if I cannot figure out why I can't see though the walls(like its supposed to) in blender, but in Unity it deletes certain walls(faces) of one object. I'll attempt it myself for another hour or so haha, got to learn some how huh?

17. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

In Blender faces are two=sided. so you can see them from both sides. In Unity faces are one-sided so you see them from one side but not from the other (they appear transparent from the back.

18. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Deleted User likes this.
  19. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Thanks KheltonHeadley.
    Christinanorwood, I knew that because of a youtuber showed me. But, mine is a updated version(up-to-date) so it was different to activate this. Maybe, you could show me how to make it visible from all sides but below it? This is going to be a fully usable house after I finish.

P.S. It's weird because it's various walls that disapear...? Maybe someone could take a look at it over TeamViewer or something? Just a possibility?

20. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

You may need separate inside and outside walls. The outside walls face out, and the inside walls face in. Sort of like a cube inside a cube. Another solution is to use a double sided shader but that's a bit more advanced. Besides, if you have separate inner and outer walls you can use different textures on them.

I've attached a simple house made in Blender, shown from below. You can see the normals (the side where textures show) as blue lines.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  21. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Yes exactly what I seen from that YouTuber! Can you show me or tell me exactly how to get those lines to show? Thanks.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

23. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Using Blender, select the object in edit mode. In the N panel of the 3D view (use the N key to open it) click on the button shown (face normals). There is an equivalent in other 3D modelling apps. I don't think you can show normals in Unity however. You just see which side is visible.

24. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Thank you ShadowK, I really will look more into it, and not just take a glance again.
    Christinanorwood, thanks so much. I got it to work now how do I make them show out both sides? Without effecting the image itself? Thanks again.

*EDIT* Recalculate & Flip. Found it, thanks though! :)

*EDIT2* This happens when I recalculate so it will show on both sides... Instead it it not being there, it just pulls it away from the wall..? Any idea how I can fix this?

*EDIT3* First off sorry for so many edits, but I do not know what your guy's rules are about double posting, and I don't want to break any rules. But, I figured out that everytime I recalculate any peice it makes the green line go about twice as long and makes the object stick out. I remodeled the house with a plane, instead of a box, and it works 100% perfect. So, I guess I will use that. I just have to keep in mind the box errors I've had. Thanks to all who have helped! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's just time, it all gets easier once you're used to it. But you never stop learning, you REALLY need to spend a weekend going through those tutorials they are invaluable and very concise. The Unity tutorials are some of the best I've seen, ever!.

26. Murgilod

Murgilod

In the default shaders, yes, but you can easily change that.

27. Professor GIBS

Professor GIBS

Thanks ShadowK, believe me I've already done the whole scripting tutorial section all 28 lessons. I am working on the graphic/modeling ones now. Thanks again. :D
    Murgilod, could you explain how a little more? Thanks.