Search Unity

Where to begin? C#?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Dgreen032, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Dgreen032

Dgreen032

I would like to start in the process of making games (very simple) I know that creating games is not a walk in park and it requires a bit of work, but the only thing stopping me is the coding.. I've tried the unity tutorials but I feel like it's "do what I do" instead of actually understanding the code itself. I'm not very experienced with coding but I don't want to let that throw me off creating games completely. I would like some direction and information on coding and what would be the best way to learn it? Thank you.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you don't mind setting aside the game development tools for now the best learning resources for helping you understand the code you write are the ones that focus on it exclusively. The C# Yellow Book is one of the best beginner coding books out there for this, but if you want a video series Brackeys has one that covers the same topics but to a lesser degree due to time constraints. You might even want to go through both.

http://www.csharpcourse.com/ - Free C# Yellow Book
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPV2KyIb3jR6ZkG8gZwJYSjnXxmfPAl51 - Brackeys "How to program in C#"

Code written with these series can be compiled and tested online using the following website if you don't want to set up the compile tools the authors chose (C# Yellow Book uses Visual Studio and Brackeys uses Xamarin Studio).

https://dotnetfiddle.net/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  4. Dgreen032

Dgreen032

5. egartnuc

egartnuc

I'm a new developer myself (I barely even dare call myself a developer), but I found it very useful to take some of the courses on Coursera about C# and Unity. It's been those, then plenty of tutorials on many different subjects, Unitys own and others on youtube, which helped familiarize with core concepts

Link below. I think it's a total of 5 courses, but I took only the first 2 so far (don't think I will take any more). They helped a lot. Unlike previous mentioned alternatives (afaik) they are not free. Although there is a 7 day free trial, which was what I needed to finish the first course.

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/programming-unity-game-development

XiradGamer likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You're here - you're a developer! :)

Joe-Censored and Kiwasi like this.
  7. egartnuc

egartnuc

That's very nice of you, but until I showcase something finished I'm a disgrace to you. ;)

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Actually getting any work done is optional around here. :p

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  9. winterfive

winterfive

My first "Hello World" was with CS50 available at EdX (it's free!). A terrific class to get you started in coding/computer science. GL!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  10. XiradGamer

XiradGamer

I'm new to Unity too and currently taking an awesome course on Udemy. They're having a back-to-school special right now and a lot of courses are going for $10 that are normally pretty expensive. I'm about 1/3 through The Ultimate Guide To Game Dev with Unity and it's excellent. It's a Unity Authorized course.

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'd start with some general C# study before diving into Unity tutorials if coding is your weak point.

12. santiagolopezpereyra

santiagolopezpereyra

This is true; some of the courses up there are pretty nice to begin. GameDev is an educational company/institute with several courses on Udemy, some of them pretty nice. I think it's your best bet.

XiradGamer likes this.
  13. LaneFox

LaneFox

Kiwasi likes this.