Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Should I Start?!?!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by iSharpyFTW, Mar 31, 2015.

1. iSharpyFTW

iSharpyFTW

I've been using unity for a while but I never actually learned any code because I used pre-made packs and scripts.But now I think I should start learning C# a
    but I need help....

Does anyone know any effective ways to learn code (C#)

I know you can't learn code overnight!
    I am quite young as well I'm only a teenager!

My Skills-
    I'm good with photoshop and I'm good at video editing,

I'm not really sure with audio but i'm ok at 3d animation

2. Sylvir

Sylvir

hey,

i am also new and learning as well, i have been at it for a few weeks now, and i am starting to pick up some basic concepts, and working on a clicker game as my project now.

What i did was started to watch the lets make a (fill in the blank) in unity. tutorials on youtube and then following along. it is slow and tedious at first, but it is working for me. now that ive done that, i am starting to work on my own project, and checking in on the documentation is really huge, and then asking questions on here about the best way to achieve a desired out come. the community here is really great for the most part, and is really helpful.

also there are some decent free apps, and tutorials online. Oh, and i decided to go with C# at first i was going between that and java and that just confused me even more. once i decided to stick to learning c# first to use with unity things started to make more sence.

hope that helps a bit, just lots of reading, and youtube tutorials, but if you are determined to learn it is defiantly possible. if i find any other solid resources ill let you know!

3. jshrek

jshrek

Start with tutorials and it will be sort of be an introduction to C# as well:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/

Once you learn one language, you can generally understand/figure out what other programming languages are trying do as well. If you need to learn some basic coding concepts, start here (has tons of free beginner tutorials):
    http://code.org/learn

Sylvir likes this.
  4. Sylvir

Sylvir

are those all in C# or are they in various languages?

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's tutorials are in C#.

6. Sylvir

Sylvir

cool, yeah ive done a couple of those :) they are way helpfull too forgot to mention them!

7. jshrek

jshrek

http://code.org is various programming languages.

But as I said, if you need to learn "some basic coding concepts" then any language will do to get started. You can then apply what you learn with one language to another. An example would be understanding IF THEN statements. If you understand how they work in one language then you can apply it to any language (usually with just some minor syntax changes).

Sylvir likes this.