Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where should I export my PC game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jana1108, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Jana1108

Jana1108

Hi, the time has come to export my game I made with Unity 5 which I am quite proud of. This is the first time I've exported a 'computer' platform game and I was wondering if anyone could recommend places that I could export to for free or cheap prices and make money... if I didn't charge for the game I'd put ads on it but if I charged for the game I wouldn't. I was wondering if anyone had somewhere they recommend exporting games to as I want to get a lot of interest hopefully.

Kind Regards,
    Jana1108

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Web portals like kongregate are good for quick feedback, but don't provide a ton of revenue.

Steam is still the major distribution platform for PC games.

3. Jana1108

Jana1108

How would I export my game to Steam or Kongregate as it's not an option in the export menu...?

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It's right next to the 'make an MMO' button ;)

Go have a look at steam and kongregate and any other places you might want your game to appear. They all have defined submission guidelines.

5. Mauri

Mauri

For Steam, Desura or other distribution portals, your game needs to be a Standalone. Kongregate needs WebPlayer or WebGL. You can choose the platform inside the Unity Editor under File > Build Settings... .

Kiwasi likes this.
  6. Jana1108

Jana1108

Not sure what you mean by 'It's right next to the 'make an MMO' button' ... but anyways if I were to export my game for Kongregate would I export it as a Web Player, or a PC, Mac & Linux Standalone?
    Also how much money do you think I'd make from a successful game on Kongregate? How much do you think I'd make if my game had say... 50-100 downloads?

7. Jana1108

Jana1108

Ok thanks, I'm going with Kongregate because I think if I do steam I need to purchase greenlight...
    Anyway thanks, so for Kongregate I export as a Web Player?

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The MMO button is an inside joke on the forums about people who expect the engine to do everything for them.

Kongregate can take a WebPlayer or a WebGL, or both. I would advise doing both, otherwise you cut out a significant part of your audience.

Typical first game performance on Kingregate is measured in dollars and cents. Moderate success might net you a few thousand. Ultimately a single web portal will not be a sustainable business model. But it's a valid place to start.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. Jana1108

Jana1108

Ok I'm selecting WebPlayer for the platform in build settings, I see there are boxes I can check for Streamed, Offline Deployment, Development Build, Script Debugging, and there is also Autoconnect Profiler but it's greyed out so I can't check it. Which ones of these should I select?

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

11. Jana1108

Jana1108

12. tedthebug

tedthebug

You need to check what the requirements are with whoever will be putting your game up then do the build so it meets those requirements.

I think kongregate share ad revenue with you based on how many ads are shown while people are playing your game, but read the contract & get advice if you are unsure of anything before you sign up.

13. darkhog

darkhog

I'd suggest avoid steam/Kong for your first game and publish to smaller sites like itch.io or GameJolt and only publish elsewhere when it gets traction.

Kiwasi likes this.
  14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Just checked out itch.io. On the face of it it looks like a pretty good option for messing about with.

Ony likes this.
  15. Ony

Ony

My latest game (early access) is on itch.io and does pretty well (also on Patreon). Itch is a nice site and Leaf (the creator) is a cool dude. :)

antislash and GarBenjamin like this.
  16. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

For the record I made a sale on itch. That puts the games revenue on itch at 10x the revenue in kongregate.

The numbers are far too low to consider it statistically significant. It's entirely possible it's just random noise.

But that covers my lunch for tomorrow.

Ony likes this.
  18. QFSW

QFSW

Nice, how much did you have the price for pond wars on itch.io?

19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

$0. It is entirely pay what you want. I'm at the stage with my game development where distribution is more important then cash.

If I get to the stage that people are actively seeking my games, then I might charge for them. But until that day charging for them is counter productive.

20. QFSW

QFSW

Ah, so was someone just kind enough to pay you for your product?
    And yeah, I see your logic, good work

21. QFSW

QFSW

I know this hasn't been posted on in a while, but should one strive to release it in as many places as they can, or restrict it to a few, good portals?

22. tedthebug

tedthebug

My view? If there's no exclusivity then as many as possible just to increase your profile

Ony and QFSW like this.
  23. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

In principle I agree. In practice maintaining version control across a bunch of different distribution platforms gets painful.

That said, the scal of my games, their releases and my fan base is tiny.

24. unitywlp

unitywlp

gamejolt was a good platform