Search Unity

Where or how to start learning Unity to make a PS1-esque walking simulator?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by maxanxd, Mar 22, 2021.

1. maxanxd

maxanxd

I'm a noob when it comes to everything except some very basic Blender 3D.

I'd like to try my hand at learning Unity for developing a first-person game/interactive experience/walking simulator similar to Paratopic or LSD: Dream Emulator and I just need some direction. I think I need to learn about walking mechanics (with WASD), camera movement (with arrow keys instead of the mouse, because I want it c l u n k y) and simple interactions with objects? I'm not sure where to start.

In terms of the visuals, I know that I want to be able to generate some sort of glitchy and strobe-like textures/models to make the visuals trippy... I know I can use something like psx_retroshader to replicate the super jaggy PS1 graphics.

So, the big question is, would you recommend any particular place to start learning or perhaps topics that I need to learn about in order to make such a game? Also, can I just use visual scripting for this instead of programming?

Thanks a lot!

jerzyab likes this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Replying just to this part, to correct a core misconception:

Visual scripting is programming. Everything that makes programming with a text editor difficult is also difficult with visual scripting (unless actual typing is difficult for you). The one exception is remembering syntax (i.e. the actual keywords and punctuation needed to do things like if-blocks and loops). But syntax is the easiest part of programming anyway. The hard part is thinking clearly about what you are trying to do, figuring out how to break that down into tiny enough steps that fit with how the computer works, and managing complexity as your project grows. And all that is applies just as much to visual scripting as to text-based scripting.

3. warthos3399

warthos3399

First off, theres literally TONS of tutorials out there for any type of game dev. I watched the video, and it kinda reminds me of 007 games for the snes/N64. It can be done with Unity, one of the more tricky things i saw was lighting and particle effects, will be fun, lol.

Controller: You can use any 1st or 3rd person controller, as you can set any of them up to have a "clunky" feel.
    Glitchy/strobe-like: Thats easy, its just a spot/point light with On/Off randomly generated, or by pattern.
    Visual Scripting: Theres a few great visual scripting solutions on the asset store, like Playmaker.

Antypodish and maxanxd like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

On a visual scripting system like Playmaker, there is a misconception that Playmaker means you won't need to learn how to code. A quick visit to the Playmaker documentation though makes it clear that is not the case. With Playmaker, the code it runs are called "Actions", and unless you are only going to use the default Actions (doubtful), you'll need to write your own. You write them in C#.

5. Martin_H

Martin_H

When I started, I felt like I got a lot of use out of reading all sections of the official documentation that seemed relevant to what I wanted to do. That was a long time ago, not sure what the current state of the docs is. Here's the link:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/

Joe-Censored likes this.