Search Unity

Where is the "Packing tag"?

Discussion in '2D' started by VictorQianUnity, Aug 16, 2019.

1. VictorQianUnity

VictorQianUnity

I'm using unity 2019.2, i noticed the "Packing tag" is missing in the inspector, does that means I no longer need to do the packing manually? or did i missed something?

there was a packing tag in the sprite importer

Attached Files:

2. VictorQianUnity

VictorQianUnity

It seems like using Sprite Atlas is the way to go, still I'm not quite sure

3. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

4. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Yes, please use the Sprite Atlas!

However, if you still wish to use the Legacy Sprite Packer, you can enable it in Project Settings > Editor > Sprite Packer > Mode > Always Enabled (Legacy Sprite Packer). The Packing Tag will show up again.

5. Patrick_PS

Patrick_PS

Is it possible to use the new SpriteAtlas but keep the Package Tag so that I can mark in the sprite's inspector if and what atlas the sprite is part of?

6. kumade

kumade

Something like this would be super useful as when the atlas gets bigger (contains dozens sprites) it becomes a pain to manage the process of adding a sprite to an atlas.
    First you need to find a sprite in your project hierarchy, remember it's name, find corresponding atlas in the hierarchy, press + button, search the remembered sprite name in the list.
    All those steps instead of just selecting an atlas from a list of available atlases when you have the sprite selected in the inspector.

Patrick_PS likes this.
  7. alienkim

alienkim

Check this up, dude :
    Edit - Project setting -
    Editor - Sprite Packter : Mode - Always Enabled (Sprite Packter)

Now you can see the Packing Tag in the Inspector menu.

8. krisventure

krisventure

Unfortunately this doesn't work any more in Unity 2020 LTS current latest version. In Unity 2019 it was fine and this is how I got it working but after upgrading, even if Legacy Sprite Packer is set "Always Enabled" and even after restarting Unity the Packer Tag is grayed out for all sprites (it shows up but it's grayed out and cannot be edited).

9. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

We have deprecated the Sprite Packer in the 2020.3 LTS version. Please do check out the forum post below on how to handle this and let us know if it works out for you or not:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/deprecating-sprite-packer-legacy.834415/

krisventure likes this.
  10. krisventure

krisventure

That's helpful, thank you! I should've reported back that I've solved this by the recommended method of using Sprite Atlases which was a surprisingly easy replacement (Basically 3 clicks, creating that atlas and adding the sprites to it). I didn't realize before how easy it would be to replace Sprite Packer, if I knew I wouldn't have tried so hard to hold on to the legacy method lol. Thanks again