Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Where is the Meta Quest Pro OpenXR Facial, Eye and Hand Tracking plugin?

Discussion in 'VR' started by ROBYER1, Nov 3, 2022.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

So I haven't got a Quest Pro yet but I was hoping to stay supporting the OpenXR Spec when going to use the facial, hand and eye tracking features of the headset.

I have seen that HTC are maintaining the OpenXR plugins in Unity for facial, hand and eye tracking, does any of this work out the box for the Quest Pro? https://developer.vive.com/resource.../unity/integrate-facial-tracking-your-avatar/

I've seen others ask about this on Oculus forums without any useful links/docs. It is quite a high-end headset which makes it seem odd that there is no immediate documentation on using the OpenXR face/hand/eye tracking of the Meta Quest Pro without any old and redundant Oculus SDK
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Ques...ce-and-eye-tracking-on-oculus-pro/td-p/995051

JakobAnarkyLabs likes this.
  2. weiner_monkey

weiner_monkey

You could use it by adding the integration package, I believe anything above 42/43 will contain the compatible plugin, and you should see the option to enable eye/face tracking via OVRManager

3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I'm asking how to use it strictly through OpenXR XR Plugin, without any other vendor plugins like OVR plugin etc.

It should be noted that Oculus also keep saying the Oculus plugin is being deprecated and encourage developers to use OpenXR
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/wha...lugin-and-openxr-plugin.1213743/#post-8558594

4. weiner_monkey

weiner_monkey

Yes, I'm pretty sure it already defaults to OpenXR which is included in the integration package, you can enable it as shown in the screenshot attached. I think both the integration package plugin and the one in package manager have implementations in OpenXR and you may be able to confirm via logcat.

Edit: I have tested this on Quest Pro

Attached Files:

• img_.png
      img_.png
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

upload_2022-11-4_9-18-4.png

Ah, in that case does it also exist here in the OpenXR Feature Groups?

6. weiner_monkey

weiner_monkey

Not sure, I set it explicitly through OVRManager

7. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

To me that suggests it is Oculus specific which isn't what I want, I want some cross-platform face/eye tracking standardized through OpenXR if it exists!

8. kblood

kblood

Yes, it still needs OpenXR support, and is only Oculus OVRManager specific for now. I hope they add that soon. But the option to use eye and facetracking via Link got out of beta within the last week, so it might be what they are working on now. I hope it is.

Without OpenXR I do not think we get the inherent dynamic foveated rendering support from all VRSS games.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  9. kblood

kblood

Apparantly Oculus XR is based on OpenXR already... its just confusing that its still called OVR in the Oculus utility. But if this is true, then the problem might be that the eye and facetracking needs Oculus specific support to work even though its OpenXR based.

Not sure how OpenXR extensions work, but cannot find anything official that explains this. Not on the Oculus side. If its en OpenXR extension, I think it should be open source, right? I am pretty confused as to where the support is lacking now.

10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

It needs to be in that OpenXR Extensions menu really, ie. that we get another headset with OpenXR face/eye tracking that uses the same OpenXR Extension for face/eyes, otherwise it's Oculus specific I would assume :/

11. kblood

kblood

Yeah, I just confirmed it with the OpenXR Toolkit developer. Oculus has so far only implemented Oculus specific eye and face tracking, but for some reason did not implement the OpenXR standard implementation for eye and facetracking.

They promised to use OpenXR, so I hope that means they will support OpenXR standards for this in the future.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  12. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Without us developers knocking the door, they seem complacent to use outdated plugins or continue support of the OVR plugin which we have been advised to not use in favour of OpenXR..

JakobAnarkyLabs likes this.
  13. bcjordan

bcjordan

Is anyone able to get Quest Pro haptics working?

14. Tanya_Li

Tanya_Li

Unity Technologies

You could try using OpenXR package APIs below to trigger haptics:
    OpenXRInput.SendHapticImpulse
    OpenXRInput.StopHaptics

We are also working on adding Quest pro controller interaction profile support in the next release, which will support thumb haptic and trigger haptic.
    In the meantime, I think you could use Meta Integration Asset to support haptics.

15. Ayush_0520

Ayush_0520

Do we have an OpenXR Plug-in for Eye Tracking for Meta Quest Pro now? or do we still require Oculus plug-in?

habibahshm96 and ROBYER1 like this.
  16. XPloadED

XPloadED

Any new info? I need this to work with SteamVR runtime to use eye tracking on Quest Pro alongside Vive Trackers in Unity. It's so frustrating to find useful information on this.

ROBYER1 likes this.