Search Unity

Where is the menu for splitting animation clips?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by nathanpmerck, Aug 10, 2020.

1. nathanpmerck

nathanpmerck

I JUST want to split my current animation for an object in two, and I know how to do it, but I can't find the stupid menu to save my life!

I just want to know where this menu to divide clips is:
    whereisthisthing.PNG

Every tutorial just sends me to either of the these menus:
    itsnothere.PNG
    nothereeither.PNG

I've spent literal hours just trying to get to that menu in the latest version of Unity, but no tutorial I follow has gotten me to see that it. Did they remove it or something? I can't be this stupid, there must be something really obtuse going on here. There must be either an insane work-around to see it or a easy solution that no one is willing to say aloud.

Please, I am desperate to just finish this project and I am sick of literally everything going wrong if it can. I'm aware this is probably a very stupid question, but I can't find the answer after hours of internet surfing and watching tutorials.

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

In the first image. Near the bottom you can set the Start and End of the clip, then in the table above that is a + icon to add another clip which you can give a different Start and End.

3. nathanpmerck

nathanpmerck

I am well aware that this is how I make the clip, but if you can take another look at my question, I’m not asking how to make a clip, I’m asking how I can access that menu to begin with. Apologies if I worded it wrong.
    I’m trying to open the Animation Clip Inspector, but it always takes me to the 2nd image instead of the first. If you know where I’m messing up, do let me know.

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Sorry, I just skimmed through it.

The first image is the model importer which shows when you select an FBX or other model file.

The second is the animation importer for when you select an animation clip asset. It doesn't have an easy way to do what you want so you should go to the model if you still have it. Otherwise you could use Ctrl + D to duplicate the animation then use the Animation window (3rd image) to delete the keyframes you don't want from either one.

5. nathanpmerck

nathanpmerck

No worries! And thanks for the tip, I’ll try it out as soon as I can and see if Unity will accept it. I’ll add an update upon doing so.

6. nathanpmerck

nathanpmerck

Alright! It wasn't pretty, and I had to fix a few bits here and there, but it worked. Thanks for your help, though I still don't know how to open that menu. I suppose this will do for now, though if anyone knows how to do what I asked for originally, that'd be nice.

Thanks a ton, Kybernetik!

7. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

It's not a menu that you open, it's the Inspector that is shown when you select a 3D model asset such as an FBX file.