Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the memory coming from?

Discussion in 'Profiler Previews' started by RakNet, Jan 29, 2021.

1. RakNet

RakNet

The memory profiler isn't very useful if there is no way to tell where the memory is coming from. For example, in my profile on game startup, in the 2D main menu, I have several large textures for a 3D cow model, although the cow model is not in a resources directory or otherwise linked in any way that I know of besides being in a few scenes.

upload_2021-1-28_22-35-45.png

I even profiled the game and the cow model texture is still there for some reason.

* Edit * To clarify I'm not asking about the cow specifically. I'm asking for a feature, which is that the memory profiler needs to indicate where and why items are included.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Yes, we're aware of this missing piece and working towards having Call Stacks in all Allocations but that needs a fundamental change to the entire low level allocation system so that might be a ways out into the future still.

In the mean time, going through the references to the textures should still give you some idea as to what chain of references caused it to get loaded in.