Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the definitition for TMP_TextUtilities.FindIntersectingWord

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by yusefkerr, Sep 4, 2020.

1. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Hello, I'm trying to become more familiar with event systems and c# in general, and I'm confused about what's happening in "TMP_TextUtilities", which appears to be just a series of lines like

"public static int FindNearestWord(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera);"

To me, this looks like the first line of a method, but I can't find the method body. When it's used in TMP_TextEventHandler's LateUpdate() method, it just seems to magically return the index of the word under the mouse pointer. I can see that it's being passed the mouse position, text element, and camera, but where are the "inner workings" of FindNearestWord() that convert these arguments into the returned int?

I hope this question makes sense, it's driving me a bit crazy.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

The function implementation is all there, perhaps your IDE is only showing the function signature for some reason.

What are you seeing in your IDE?

3. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Code (CSharp):
    1. #region Assembly Unity.TextMeshPro, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    2. // C:\Users\44792\Desktop\SaintSimonSaw_20200903\SaintSimonSaw_CardSetup\Library\ScriptAssemblies\Unity.TextMeshPro.dll
    3. #endregion
    5. using TMPro;
    6. using UnityEngine;
    8. namespace TMPro
    9. {
    10.     public static class TMP_TextUtilities
    11.     {
    12.         public static float DistanceToLine(Vector3 a, Vector3 b, Vector3 point);
    13.         public static int FindIntersectingCharacter(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera, bool visibleOnly);
    14.         public static int FindIntersectingLine(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera);
    15.         public static int FindIntersectingLink(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera);
    16.         public static int FindIntersectingWord(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera);
    17.         public static int FindNearestCharacter(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera, bool visibleOnly);
    18.         public static int FindNearestCharacterOnLine(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, int line, Camera camera, bool visibleOnly);
    19.         public static int FindNearestLine(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera);
    20.         public static int FindNearestLink(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera);
    21.         public static int FindNearestWord(TMP_Text text, Vector3 position, Camera camera);
    22.         public static int GetCursorIndexFromPosition(TMP_Text textComponent, Vector3 position, Camera camera);
    23.         public static int GetCursorIndexFromPosition(TMP_Text textComponent, Vector3 position, Camera camera, out CaretPosition cursor);
    24.         public static int GetHashCode(string s);
    25.         public static int GetSimpleHashCode(string s);
    26.         public static uint GetSimpleHashCodeLowercase(string s);
    27.         public static int HexToInt(char hex);
    28.         public static bool IsIntersectingRectTransform(RectTransform rectTransform, Vector3 position, Camera camera);
    29.         public static bool ScreenPointToWorldPointInRectangle(Transform transform, Vector2 screenPoint, Camera cam, out Vector3 worldPoint);
    30.         public static int StringHexToInt(string s);
    31.         public static char ToLowerFast(char c);
    32.         public static char ToUpperFast(char c);
    33.     }
    34. }

4. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Here's a screenshot IDE.jpg

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

What version of Unity are you using?

Looks like you are using the deprecated version of TextMesh Pro from the AssetStore.

6. villevli

villevli

If you have installed TextMeshPro through package manager, you should find the source in <path-to-project>\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.textmeshpro

Other option would be to decompile <path-to-project>\Library\ScriptAssemblies\Unity.TextMeshPro.dll with ILSpy.

7. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Thanks for the replies, I'm using Unity2020.1.2, and I have TMP version 3.0.1. I couldn't remember how I got TMP, but it's activated in the package manager, and I haven't got any TMP files in my asset store history.

I can access the folder you mention for \com.unity.texmeshpro and I can find the TMP_TextUtilities.cs file, which includes all the function bodies that were missing before, so that's great, I can at least see how they're working now.

Is there likely to be any reason why these don't show up in visual studio? It feels like TextEventHandler is on a different "level" of accessibility than TMP_TextUtilities, for example, I can't find TMP_TextUtilities by searching in my Unity project. It also comes up in this purple tab on the right hand side of VS.

unityunity