Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Where is Releace Candidate 2?

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by rastlin, Dec 10, 2019.

1. rastlin

rastlin

So RC1 was released 27.11.2019, since then using my limited judgement, there is still a mountain of issues present - UI, performance being bad, editor freezes etc.

Unity probably wants to release v2019.3 in year 2019 :p . That gives them max 1 more week before all the holiday season kicks in. Even if released end of week, it's pretty risky in my opinion to release brand new version just before holidays when probably 50% of stuff is not available for support.

To combat this, I would expect this subforum to be buzzling with activity, releases DAILY, user feedback and quick turnover with bugfuxes.

I see none of that, and my gut feeling says, as in the past, Unity will release another bugged version, fire and forget-style, and fix it in 2020. This is pretty saddening to see such approach still prevelant in this company. Up until now I was always withholding with updating to newer version for like a 2 months after release, and there is no sign that my approach should change :( .

haleler51 and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  2. Deozaan

Deozaan

They will release 2019.3 on New Year's Eve ;) and then patch it for 3-6 months until 2020.1 and 2019.4 LTS launch. :p

If you want something resembling stability, waiting 2 months isn't good enough. Wait for the LTS releases.:)

bugfinders likes this.
  3. Spokko

Spokko

It's not all bad, from what I've managed to establish they are already on f3 internally. Why they are already on f3 and still not even released f2 however is well... a mystery.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

If stability is what you want you need to wait for LTS releases. The tech releases have not been stable ever since LTS was announced. TBH I think they should rename .1-.3 as "unstable" and LTS as "stable" because thats really what is happening, despite the masquerade.

5. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

They didn't release f2 last week so maybe they skipped f2 due to major bugs or something like that.

Why would they do that? labeling it as unstable would discourage people from using it at all. It's not recommended to upgrade to tech releases if you have something in production because stability is usually more important. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that the tech releases are unstable.
    The label of unstable fits beta/alphas a lot more.

charlesb_rm likes this.
  6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

2019 cycle full releases have suffered from major errors such as crashes etc just as much as alpha and beta versions when working on any of our client projects using these versions. This is tested across more than 40 machines and multiple developers so its not just an individual case. I personally would call that unstable, not sure what is more unstable than regular crashes in a non-beta application....
    Anyway original point is that you should use LTS if you want stability as the other versions cannot be trusted to be stable (as in what would normally be considered stable in any other commercial software, its only unity we have these issues with on a "stable" version).

7. rastlin

rastlin

This is exactly why current situation is wrong. It's baffling how a software which goes through multiple stages of alpha, beta, and patch releases is still considered unstable by it's customers. The feature of Tech releases should not be the fact they are unstable, but that they depreciate/introduce new API's or components, which potentially cripple ongoing projects.

And I would not call LTS version stable either, the nested prefabs are ridden with bugs to this day and they manifest in LTS as well as in Tech releases evenly.

8. orcinus

orcinus

f1 (RC1) can't even build Android apps, the SDK errors are unfixable.
    The Editor in b12 and f1 complain about being old and f2 being out, but it's not.
    Bugs and issues are pretty much the same accross 2019.3b and 2020.1a, getting patched at the same time too, so it really beats me why bother?
    The silence and notice from Unity staff missing is what is actually more annoying to me, than the issue at hand.

9. Johannski

Johannski

I'm building for android with 2019.3.0f1, so that claim is a bit broad. My project is still quite small and maily developed on 2019.2 and 2019.3 betas so I do see, that you might have a lot of other problems with older sdks. And to be fair, I do have problems using the ProGuard Minify option (https://forum.unity.com/threads/unf...stopped-unity-2019-3-0f1.791967/#post-5275254), but well... it is not the official release version but kind of still labeled as beta. Sure, i would love to have a more reliable version for the first release candidate, but keep the beta context in mind.

I actually would also love to get mre information on the current status quo for the final release candidate. I guess the matter of fact that there are still some major problems in f1 results in trying to silently fixing the problems as fast as possilbe. I would love to see them take the other route by acknowledging the problems and being open about the internal schedules, but it's their call to make. In the end it's better if they release a solid 19.3, rahter than a rushed one. @rastlin Good point with the holidays though, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  10. Deozaan

Deozaan

doarp likes this.
  11. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

This needs to be addressed ASAP. I can't believe there's a fix being tested for 2020.1 but just "planned" for 2019.3, which comes way earlier. Can't see the point of including the brand new Device Simulator in 2019.3 and then have a basic Android build thing broken.

12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

There's two problems here:

1. The Hub is installing the NDK in the wrong place.

2. The Editor messaging is not helpful and unclear.

The issue tracker case you're pointing out is about the misleading message. The changes that are currently being reviewed for 2020.1 and are planned to be backported to 2019.3 are about the messaging.

Issue #1 should no longer occur with the upcoming Hub 2.3.0 release. In the meantime, you can use this workaround and manually unblock yourself.

Miguel_TagaiArts likes this.
  13. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

Thank you very much for such a detailed answer, hoping for the best with Hub 2.3.0 then.

LeonhardP likes this.
  14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Update: the fix will already be published sooner as part of the minor 2.2.2 update. The intent is to release that later today.

Miguel_TagaiArts likes this.
  15. orcinus

orcinus

Yes, this seems to have been fixed, but also workaround was managable (manually finding it in the player subdirs like explained above).