Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is new DOTS sample project?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Ruberta, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Ruberta

Ruberta

In Unite Copenhagen Keynote, they mention about DOTS sample project. Where can I get it?
    Does it release yet?
    If not, do you have any ETA? Atleast approximate the month it would be released, please.

Gametyme and JesOb like this.
  2. pal_trefall

pal_trefall

Ante said "very soon". It's hard to say what exactly that means, but I'm super excited about that project as well! Any ETA on when we'll get our hands on the preview package for 2019.3 Netcode support too would be good to know. "Very soon" I bet though.

Gametyme and Ruberta like this.
  3. Micz84

Micz84

I would bet that it will arrive with next beta version. They were using 2019.3b5 on stage.

4. thelebaron

thelebaron

Release the kraken! I mean sample project :p

PrakNep and starikcetin like this.
  5. Enzi

Enzi

Can't wait!

We already got part of the netcode but I'm pretty sure it'll be more up-to-date and the instant editor changes from editor to standalone was pretty sick to see. I'm very interested if this works out of the box or how much we have to code for it.

Also the lambda foreach to job conversion is pretty handy. I wonder how many restrictions it has compared to normal jobs.

pal_trefall likes this.
  6. supron

supron

I have exactly the same thoughts. After the first jaw-dropping impression, I started to think how much effort will it require to make this setup. It's hard to believe such complex feature could work out of the box.

pal_trefall likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is nothing "magical"/ complex about it. Since all assets meta data are stored in YAML or w/e, it is trivial to synchronize that over network by simple passing the data and applying it on the clients. There are ton of optimal approaches other than that. Any mature developer would not be surprised by these marketing toys.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2019
  8. pal_trefall

pal_trefall

steveeHavok and elbows like this.
  9. Singtaa

Singtaa

They are calling it Unity Live Link (coming out 2019.3 as Experimental) and claiming it will eventually be able to push code changes too.

10. MostHated

MostHated

That's already been in the beta versions (possibly alpha, too?). Is this the same thing? I didn't know what it was for really, until now. Seems like it is pretty neat, though.

Ruberta likes this.
  11. Singtaa

Singtaa

Yes that should be it. SubSceneLiveLinkSystem had been very buggy for us at some point in the past, so I largely ignored anything that contained "LiveLink" in it... until now too. Well that and the fact that the conversion workflow has zero documentation (plus a forum thread).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  12. Ruberta

Ruberta

It's over a month now and unity release 2019.3.0b8. I wonder where the DOTS sample project gone? It suppose to be on 2019.3.0b5, isn't it?

13. Enzi

Enzi

14. keeponshading

keeponshading

15. alexchesser

alexchesser