Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question Where is lighting auto generate?

Discussion in 'Unity 6 Beta' started by laurentlavigne, Apr 30, 2024.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It's too convenient to axe, so it can't be far...

upload_2024-4-29_23-24-0.png
    btw the baking button layout makes no sense. Zero button should be the width of the window.

soleron likes this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I picked up in recent threads that autogenerate lighting is gone. You may want to search for it.

Not sure of the reasons, probably because it keeps adding a lot of (often unnecessary) load on the computer which particularly hurts Notebooks and generally making for a noisy work environment.

3. bugfinders

bugfinders

I have a feeling they removed it because people moaned it was updating and slowing their machines down

4. soleron

soleron

Given how easy it was to disable it, the reason is not because it was using a lot of computer resources... it was barely a tick to remove. You have to have a brain the equivalent of an amoeba, to not simply stop it. And you only need to do it once.

They removed it (probably because most people were not using it) and provided a GI preview deep in the Lighting debug menu which they have poorly communicated.

They also removed Progressive Updates, which in my opinion is far worse than removing Auto Generate. It was a powerful and easy to access preview tool which I am sorry to say the new Preview is not.

upload_2024-5-1_12-23-4.png

upload_2024-5-1_12-24-2.png

retired_unity_saga likes this.
  5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

so the only reason to use the built in baker over Bakery is gone... decision making at its finest

retired_unity_saga likes this.
  6. bugfinders

bugfinders

bakery?

7. soleron

soleron

bugfinders likes this.