Search Unity

Question Where does one find general base/average parameters or settings for meshes, armatures or assets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the_unity_saga, Nov 21, 2022.

1. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

I'm trying to make a small test project, where I can discern how to make basic assets using basic asset settings or templates.

For instance, I want to make a "universal, standard, humanoid base mesh" for unity... the thing thats troubling is, because unity has some measurement system, involved in import settings, I can't figure out what units in say blender, or 3DS MAX I need to use to get a 1:1 ratio for not only creating models or assets, but importing, exporting, importing again.

half the time unity will scale something I import wrong.

another thing that would be useful would be for sound assets, what are the best settings for say converting audio to what unity uses as assets?

Is there like a 1:1 template project for asset development, from scratch?

does it include various types of art, audio, text, etc files which I can use to model my own at the get the most ease of use in Unity? A lot of the time I make something it doesn't work 1:1 in unity.

especially for armature generation.

are there official documents for mesh development and creation with Unity, especially concerning armatures?

2. spiney199

spiney199

Unity uses meters, so does Blender. Exporting from one to the other should produce consistent results with regards to size.

the_unity_saga likes this.
  3. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

ah, maybe I am messing something up when I export

thanks

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I always just throw everything up against a metre ruler and then adjust the scale in the import settings. Its supposed to be a one to one equivalence if everything is set to metric, but I find many artists are working off in their own scale system.

5. spiney199

spiney199

I think those are called Americans.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That too!

But I think the problem is more fundamental. I've had several people that don't actually check the scale and just start working with whatever default scale is on the screen. This can lead to some absolutely giant models.

For example if you create a characters head by sculpting a standard unit cube, you will end up with characters about nine metres tall.

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

Actually that's not quite true. Unity units are units. By default it is recommended to assume that they're meters. But they don't have to be meters.
    Same goes for blender. Blender also operates in units and can be configured to use any real world unit, including imperial.

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Sort of. But all of the default settings for the physics engine assumes they are meters.

You can make them whatever you want them to be. But you will need to adjust other parameters in the engine to match.

9. koirat

koirat

Exactly, unity pretends it is totally unit agnostic but luckily this is bullshit.
    Every sane engine should use si units.

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

SI by default makes sense. But there are a huge number of games where SI simply isn't on the appropriate scale. So the unity set up seems appropriate.

Unity uses SI units, unless the developer decides to do something different.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    angrypenguin likes this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

How so? It's systems can be set up to model more or less whatever you want, but it has to have some default settings, and they've thankfully picked some pretty sane ones.

In what way could it be more agnostic while still being usable out-of-the-box?

Kiwasi likes this.
  12. koirat

koirat

SI is not a scale, but I get your point.

But you should think other way around, it's not the system you are scaling it's a world.
    And I agree that scaling world in some games might be a way to go.

Obviously you can pretend your 1 unit is not one meter.
    But this will be quite troublesome for some settings, for example light settings in HDRP.