Search Unity

Where do I start with networking

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by iBinary, Jul 21, 2014.

1. iBinary

iBinary

Hello guys, am a complete newbie when it comes to networking. I know nothing about it! I wish I can find a guide that takes me from no where to a high level of understanding. So where do I start ?
    Edit: I have no problem playing with C, to learn low level socket stuff, or reading a full book(that have indirect results)to get better. Just let me know the long road, if it will really help and I will take it.

2. Polys

Polys

Basically I read up for a few hours. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/an...e-raknet-to-version-4-networking-what.258276/ was my question and answer. It looks like I'm going to mess with uLink until the new built in networking comes out which they seem to want to be comprehensive.

Raknet 3.27 (I think) is what unity has built in right now. It can handle super simple stuff but everyone screams not to use it in forum posts. Its old I'm not sure if its undocumented problems or a lack of support for a old maybe broken system at higher levels for speed. Google around and see what you think yourself if you want.

iBinary likes this.
  3. iBinary

iBinary

@Polys, I have dabbled a bit with uLink and they have a well documented tutorial that assumes no previous knowledge of networking, so yeah I might use that. But I think I rather wait for the upcoming UNET solution.

4. Polys

Polys

If your just building something with ai and you want to play it multiplayer with some friends in the mean time Photon looks simpler and would allow up to 20 people free. Given your goal and prospects just shrunk by a mountain though and you'd toss it all (except a little networking experience which you may have already gotten in uLink) when UNET comes out. Also while UNET part 1 will probably roll out within the next six months as I can tell. It may be a full two years till the final part 3 comes out finished (only part 1 and 2 are terribly essential to allot of game setups.). So you may just want to go single player in the mean time. Just a few extra thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014