Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Where do I get audio? how much to pay for it?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Stef_Morojna, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Stef_Morojna

Stef_Morojna

I have been making my game for 9-10 months, so my game is pretty much done, I only have to add sound.

I want pretty good quality sounds, however as a indie, I don't exactly have a high budged

So my question is, how much would it be reasonable to pay for sound?

Is it better if I buy sound from libraries and have someone polish to make it fit better into the game or do they make it from scratch? do I pay them per sound, or per project? How much do I pay them, what are the normal rates for sound design?

2. juankjauregui

juankjauregui

Well Stef! It's not easy to answer question I'd say. Audio is a vast market with an extensive range of possibilities. Sure it depends on budget but it also depends on whether you want to make your game unique. Also, you'll be less likely to find a perfect match with buying sounds and music (specially music) for a composer would work on finding melodies and more musical compoments that would perfectly be suitable to your game.

The amount of work is always a metric for audio budgetting. Often times your budget can be negotiated but you ought to know what you want first. I mean it's a good idea to plan ahead the number of assets and a description of them before you contact someone. A good start might be collecting some youtube tracks you might find close to your project (soundtracks, sfx) and list them. That will enhace your communication with the audio guy and he will be able to work faster and more accurately.

If you need more info, I might be able to help. Reach me out at juankjauregui@gmail.com and we can talk about your project.