Search Unity

where can i find Android Remote in unity 3.2?

Discussion in 'Android' started by LumaPxxx, Feb 11, 2011.

1. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Android Remote - Remote debugging tool for Android devices.

i see this in the new release of unity3.2,but i can't find it.

anyone knows?

thank you~

2. Wozik

Wozik

3. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

it works perfect!!!!
    thank you so much!!!!

4. foyleman

foyleman

I installed it, have the device hooked up to the computer and launched the remote but when I hit play, I don't see anything on the device's screen and touches on the device do nothing. I tested this on both a mac and a pc and neither works. USB Debugging is also on. Am I missing a step somewhere?

5. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

did you restart unity?

6. mole420

mole420

Im also having problems with unity remote, i have tried starting the remote first then unity, unity then the remote, but still cant seem to get it working

7. DaveG

DaveG

Piping up for Foyleman - Yes we restarted Unity on both machines- we are using a Droid X
    Perhaps if someone can illuminate any special steps that they took to get it working would be fantastic

8. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

step of mine.
    1,install the remote apk file on your phone.
    2,enable usb debugging.
    3,connect your phone to computer with usb.
    4,lunch remote on your phone.
    5,lunch unity and hit play.

that's all what i done.
    maybe you need to switch platform to android in building settings and check your android sdk.

9. DaveG

DaveG

We will re- attempt first thing tomorrow :) thanks for the help

10. eviltenchi_84

eviltenchi_84

i followed all of those steps dongaling, the remote just says push play in the editor. When I push play, the remote does nothing. Is there some setting on the computer I missed?

11. Divide

Divide

The trick is to ensure that you lunch unity after connecting the phone. If the screen turns off you will also have to relaunch unity.

12. Wozik

Wozik

We're aware of these issues, but we felt that Android Remote could speedup the development alot, so we made it available in the current state.

With some devices you may need to relaunch the Remote for it to work, and in some cases you also need to restart the Editor.

If you experience any other issues, please report here of rather file bug.

13. DaveG

DaveG

Success on our End- Thank You for all the help!!!

14. marty

marty

So, what's the easiest way to get an APK of Unity Remote on an Adroid device from a Mac? Are there any good Mac-based USB or SD-based APK-installers out there?

15. BCouto

BCouto

Just browse to the link with your android phone and it will download automatically.

16. marty

marty

Awesome! Love that Android.

Just out of curiosity, if I have an Android Project file on my computer and want to get it on my aPhone, what's the quickest, best Mac way to do that?

17. Wozik

Wozik

use adb install path/remote.apk from android-sdk/platform-tools

18. Antonee

Antonee

this seems much more complicated than it really is... I downloaded the android unity remote from marketplace, selected debug mode and connected device to pc and launched remote, launched unity 3.3 and hit play and restarted many times with no success. what am i missing??

I have java sdk 32bit and android sdk installed so i'm good there.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  19. Antonee

Antonee

I'll give it a second attempt tonight.....>.<

I'm really curious to see what the sgx530 gpu can render in unity realtime? is unity terrain out of the question on a droid x? I'm shooting for tegra 2 optimization but since i don't own a tegra2 atm i want to be able to run my game on older devices like my droid x on the games low settings.

20. AdsySingle

AdsySingle

I have had no luck getting this to work. It was very easy on the iphone set up, but I have followed all the steps above, I have the android sdk and java sdk installed, I set up debugging, open unity after I have run the remote app, nothing changes on screen. It just says press play in the editor. I am stumped. Tried so many times now.

21. Antonee

Antonee

i was playing around with the android sdk console and i think you have to set your device up with the sdk first. i'll try that tonight and see how it goes.

also how do i create my terrain on a android3/tegra2 device? should i just create a basic terrain lowpoly mesh in blender and import into unity?

22. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

I ran into the same problem (Win 7 -64 / Galaxy-S).. Fortunately, it does work on my 32-bit Win 7.. I'll figure it out later 2day..

I suspect USB-Drivers, since the 32-bit is a clean install, and the 64bit has been in use for some months now, and therefore gathered all sorts of USB drivers I used on my Galaxy..

My device does show up using the "adb devices" command in cmd.. I will clean my OS, maybe even try a temporary x64 install, just for testing..

I'll let y'all know what my findings are..

23. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Well, i've been testing for a couple of hours now..

Besides it being a Pain in the Ass to completely remove all ADB drivers, which I finally managed, it just won't work on win 7 x64...
    Another strange thing; I'm also haveing some build run errors on my x64 OS, wich cause the APK installation on mu phone to fail. that are not there on my 32 bit OS.. As a matter of fact, my (fresh) x32 Win 7 Unity install works flawless..

I'm using the same SDK folder in both OS'es, the same USB drivers, and the Same java JDK...
    So I'm going in for the final ultimate test, a temporary Fresh x64 Install.. This will rule out wheter or not it is a compatiblity issue..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  24. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Ok; results so far..

Correct steps for launching: (ADB drivers etc should be up running)

*) Connect your device through USB and make sure it's in debug mode..
    *) Start the Unity Android remote app
    *) Start Unity
    *) Play the game

It worked perfectly on a clean Windows 7 x64 install. but it didn't work on my old OS.. I Used the same SDK folder, and 32 bit JDK install..

Something Must be interfering..

In my old x64 install, I've stopped all services processes that weren't running in the fresh install.. Also, i've uninstalled all USB drivers with USBDeview.. But it Still doesn't work!!

I'm pretty much out of ideas right now.. Gues I'll do my devoloping on the new install.. I'll start installing some programs, and keep an eye on the Android remote functionability, maybe I'll find the interference that way..

If anybody (read; someone from the unity dev. team) has any ideas on how to check what may be interfering, or the way it worked for you.. And by that I mean, did you do some de-/re-installing, etc..

25. unitygirl

unitygirl

Does anyone have Unity Android Remote for Unity 3.3? I have heard that Unity have fixed white flickering when using Android Remote in Version 3.3, and my eyes hurt with this APK I have downloaded - I could download it from Google Market but My Device - Identity Tab is still yet to be approved by Google, where I cannot use Google Android Market T-T

Could anyone get me a APK file for Android Remote for unity 3.3?

26. Antonee

Antonee

i"m still having zero success! I too am using win7/64 and unity 3.3 with android sdk and java installed. nothing still... i guess i will keep trying.

27. sawfish

sawfish

Yes

28. sawfish

sawfish

29. SrBilyon

SrBilyon

Bumping this. This there a date or even a plan to release a stable version of Unity Remote to be released soon? The 3.2 apk works in 3.3, but of course the flickering can get a bit annoying. If so, can't wait to get it!

30. Wozik

Wozik

so any bugreports with this?
    as you probably know, we cannot fix a bug unless we have a bugreport with a proper repro cases.

31. fas

fas

Got my brand new Nexus S today that I bought for developing with Unity, and the remote doesn't work. Win 7 64bit. Where do I file a bug report?

EDIT: I figured out how to file the bug report.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  32. sawfish

sawfish

It is working for me, Droid X, Win 7 64-bit. It's really weird seeing accelerometer input on the big screen... :)

33. fas

fas

Did you have to do any workarounds to make it work or did it work right off the bat? I've installed the correct USB drivers for my phone using the Android SDK manager, and both Windows and the SDK recognize it. Still no dice though, whatever I do in Unity I just get the "connect this device"-screen on the remote.

34. fas

fas

Now the remote suddenly works. I'm not exactly sure what fixed it, but what I did was:

Uninstalled my Android SDK and my JDK
    Re-installed JDK
    Re-installed the Android SDK
    Re-installed the USB Drivers
    Made a build of the game and sent it to the phone.
    Disconnected the phone
    Re-connected the phone while unity was still running
    Started the remote app
    Pressed play in Unity

As I said, I'm not sure which of these steps was the solution.

35. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

en.......

something i can't report it as bug,but it is really a bug.

maybe it is just my system problem?

open any project(yes,any project),then hit play all are ok.

but when i worked with the project for a while,the unity remote are becoming unstable.

unity remote would looks like locked in a stats that i am keep touching the screen but i really do nothing.

hit the screen would do nothing.

to solve it i need hit stop then hit play again then all are ok.

but it would happen soon again.

it happend irregularly,so i can't do a bug report.

but happend in any project even in the projects in unity support.

the longer time you work with the project,the easier to find it.

my system:windows xp 64 bit sp2

andorid sdk:2.3.3

unity:3.2

device:moto xt701

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  36. Tysoe

Tysoe

Works on the Samsung Captivarte. You just need to download the USB drivers from Samsung and set the phone on debug mode when you connect through USB.

Looks like there is only a v1.0 of the remote at the moment. Don't know if it's possible but an option to set the timeout for the screen would be nice. I keep having to mess around with the screen and unlocking the phone every time I return to the phone after a few seconds at unity.

37. fas

fas

There should be a setting for that in the Phone's OS, try Settings > Applications > Development and look for the Stay Awake option, enabling that will keep the screen active as long as the phone is connected through USB.

38. HashbangGames

HashbangGames

AMAZING!!!! OMG what a great tool!

39. _ex_

_ex_

can somebody please post a direct link for downloading the 3.3 version?
    I need the apk but can't go to the market place...
    Thanks!

EDIT: because the flickering is getting me mad :p

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  40. leonardoaraujo

leonardoaraujo

Hi guys I've downloaded the Android Remote in my Nexus One ... the accelerometer/touch worked nice, but I can't get nothing on the screen Just a gray screen. (Someone already had this problem?)

41. BrianP

BrianP

So has anyone Figured this out yet?

42. sergio_gamelancers

sergio_gamelancers

Has anyone have success on Motorola Xoom and Android 3.0(Honeycomb)?

43. Johnson_zhs

Johnson_zhs

Is there anyone can send me an android remote for Unity 3.4 apk, please? My Email: johnson.zhs@gmail.com, Thanks a lot!

44. Aevien

Aevien

This version is working on my Samsung Galaxy with Unity 3.4