Search Unity

Where are user-defined editor layouts stored?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DoctorBonzo, Aug 27, 2013.

1. DoctorBonzo

DoctorBonzo

I teach a class on Unity using Windows 7 PCs in a lab that resets all system settings, including Unity's, to defaults on each login. I have preferred editor window layouts that I use on my own development machine that I would like to transfer to the lab machine. If these are stored in some preferences file or the Windows registry, I can use a setup script to arrange things the way I want without having to arrange the layout manually each time I log in.

So can anyone tell me where this info is stored?

It would also be nice if this sort of configuration information were available for the Mono IDE, particularly font size, but maybe that's another post...

Necronomicron likes this.
  2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

For unity 4 you have the layout stored at this path: (Windows)
    C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Editor-4.x\Preferences\Layouts
    (%appdata%\Unity\Editor-4.x\Preferences\Layouts)

MonoDevelop seems to save the settings at this path: (Windows)
    C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\MonoDevelop-Unity-2.8
    (%appdata%\MonoDevelop-Unity-2.8\Config)

3. DoctorBonzo

DoctorBonzo

Danke, Herr Malzbier. Gut geschmeckt.

4. Cadmus

Cadmus

Has anyone found these files on the Mac?

5. cabrendan

cabrendan

~/Library/Preferences/Unity/Editor-4.x/Layouts

found with 'find' command: find ~ -type d -name "Layouts"

yyylny and 5argon like this.
  6. juliang

juliang

This is changed in version 2017, and there aren't any files named layout or similar. Does anyone know where the layouts are now?

EricWilliams likes this.
  7. eamengual

eamengual

On Windows and Unity 2018.1.0f1 layouts are in the same folder.

On Mac maybe you can search by layout extension '.wlt'

8. hyphenbash

hyphenbash

I am having a strange issue on mac with 2019.2 that can't find the location of the saved layout in neither of the following paths:

- ~/Library/Preferences/Unity/Editor-5.x/Layouts/
    - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.2.8f1/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/Layouts/

Also looking for the .wlt extension there's no trace of my saved layout anywhere.

However, when I save a layout it appears in the editor layout list. But then I can't copy and reuse the layout in another machine with Unity.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  9. unity_BkzKW1GPXqMERw

unity_BkzKW1GPXqMERw

for Unity 5 go to
    hold (WinKey + R)
    type:
    %appData%\Unity\Editor-5.x\Preferences\Layouts

10. hyphenbash

hyphenbash

this is not Unity 5! and also it is not Windows!!! Please read the question carefully

11. Gillissie

Gillissie

You can save layouts to a file manually, then manually load that layout on a different machine.

12. amcakebread

amcakebread

is it possible to retrieve the path of these in an editor script?

13. Uthgaard

Uthgaard

You can in the older versions. 2018.4 gives you the option to save with a normal save dialogue where you can actually see the file location. For whatever reason, in 2019.4 and beyond, this ability was removed and replaced with the far more restrictive window that does not allow you to save an actual file.

I don't know why they thought that taking away that option was a good idea, but it makes it impossible for me to save my 2019.4 layout to import into 2018.4 when I have to use that older version. Whoever makes development decisions regarding the UI needs fired. It's an endless source of aggravation and lost productivity over ridiculous things that have no reason to be this difficult.

jashan likes this.
  14. Arthur_Gentz

Arthur_Gentz

15. jgol

jgol

Interestingly this also works across different versions of Unity. A layout I saved in 2019.4.21f1 appears in the editor layout list when I open 2020.3.3f1 (tested on Ubuntu 20.4). But it does not show up in the `Layouts` directory of either version. Not a real issue, since I can just create a .wlt file explicitly as Gillissie mentioned, but still peculiar. Is there a reasoning for why this .wlt file is not created automatically when I create a new layout? The data must float around somewhere accessible for all(?) installed versions of Unity.

Maybe this also solves your problem @Uthgaard. Did you try just saving the layout in 2019.4 and then opening 2018.4? Probably only works, if you have both versions on the same system.