Search Unity

Where are the Standalone users?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by any_user, Mar 11, 2015.

1. any_user

any_user

I use UA in a game that is released on Mobile (iOS/Android) and Steam (Mac/Win), but while I see them in the "All Current Users" segment, they don't show up when I make a segment that only includes "Windows Standalone" or "Mac Standalone" platform.

There are around 4000 users missing – what's the right way to list them by platform?

2. emiliza_gutierrez

emiliza_gutierrez

Unity Technologies

Hi @any_user - Standalone segments only work with Unity Analytics SDK version 1.8.0+ (see release notes). I see traffic for your project coming from versions 1.6.2, and 1.7.5; haven't seen any 1.8.0 traffic for today yet. Have you upgraded and released with this version (or higher)?

3. any_user

any_user

Hmm.. that's strange, I'm pretty sure I updated the package right when Angelo sent the mail about the standalone update. At that point, the last version was 1.7.5.

I assumed it supports standalone when I saw that at the beginning of UnityAnalytics.cs this was changed:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. #if UNITY_IPHONE || UNITY_ANDROID || UNITY_STANDALONE || UNITY_WEBPLAYER || UNITY_WEBGL
    3. #define UNITY_ANALYTICS_SUPPORTED_PLATFORM
    4. #endif
    Also, there's a analytics folder when running a standalone player build (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/saved-analytics-data-location.303824/), so at least *something* is there.

And when I look at the numbers, the Standalone users seem to be tracked, but not with the right platform.

All Users: 18,520
    Android Users: 2,109
    iOS Users: 12,220
    Mac Users: 0
    Windows Users: 0

So there are around 4000 users tracked without valid platform – what could that be?

4. emiliza_gutierrez

emiliza_gutierrez

Unity Technologies

Ah, yes. We soft-launched standalone support in v1.7.5, but have made a few tweaks with how platforms are being set in v.1.8.0. Unfortunately, the Segment Creator on the dashboard only respects the standalone platforms sent in v1.8.0+.

Sorry for the confusion!

5. any_user

any_user

Is there a way to "rewrite" these events to a valid platform?

6. emiliza_gutierrez

emiliza_gutierrez

Unity Technologies

To get your standalone players mapped to a valid platform you'd have to update your SDK version, and have users update their app. Sorry! :(

7. any_user

any_user

Ok, I'll update soon.

Is there a way I can put these already tracked users with no platform in a segment (without actually giving them the right platform)? Would it be possible to add an "undefined" value in the segment selection, so I can create a segment "Where / Platform is / unknown" to see what's going on with these users now? It would be particularly useful because all these users were tracked during our steam launch and now it's not possible to look at their behaviour because of this problem.

8. emiliza_gutierrez

emiliza_gutierrez

Unity Technologies

Yep! I just pushed out a fix this morning that allows you to create a 'User platform is all other platforms' segment. This will capture all users whose platforms don't fall in the defined list of platforms.

Hope this helps!

9. any_user

any_user

thanks, I'll have a look!