Search Unity

where are the instructions to use and make rag dolls?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tripdragon, Jun 8, 2005.

1. tripdragon

tripdragon

I want to test out the skeletal tool but I see no docs for it

2. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Right now there are no docs for that - I'll try to cook something together one evening...

The basic gist of it is: Add Rigidbodies to all Game Objects in your ragdoll, stitch them together with hinge joints, and use the hinge joint's limits to control how the ragdoll falls...

3. elias723

elias723

I have succesfully created a very basic ragdoll based on the information posted above, but I can't figure out how to make a single mesh that will interact with my colliders, which is what the example ragdoll (soldier) seems to be doing.
    This is a neat feature and certainly more realistic than my current guy. The soldier mesh claims to have "Bones" of some type, and I think that may be the key, but I can't find any more information on them. If you can help me, I would much appreciate it.

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Do you have a skinned character?

In a program like Maya or Cinema4D you can make characters which have one mesh and are deformed by bones. When you import such model in unity, the bones appear as Transforms.

The idea then is that you attach colliders and rigidbodies to the transforms/bones in unity.
    The transforms will then be animated by the rigid bodies.
    The skinned mesh uses the transforms to deform the mesh. Thus you get the ragdoll animation on the skinned mesh.

If you have a skinned character or if you just use the soldier model we ship with unity, you can very easily build a ragdoll with the ragdoll wizard.

Select GameObject->Create->Ragdoll

There you simply assign the transforms/bones to the wizard and it will build a complete ragdoll with collision capsules, rigid bodies and joints for it.

5. elias723

elias723

Thanks - but I have one question. I have made such characters in Blender, but so far when I try to import them I have just gotten an empty where I thought I put the character. Is there a better way to import such an object than putting it into the project file?

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

At the moment the blender importer can not import skinned meshes.

Here is a list of applications you can use to created skinned characters:
    http://unify.bluegillweb.com/scriptwiki/index.php/3dApps

At some point during 1.x we will also support importing skinned meshes from blender.

7. tsphillips

tsphillips

That's pretty big news... I talked to Maxon the other week and got a price quote good for 90 days. Can you estimate the odds of Blender bones support within the next three months?

8. elias723

elias723

Also, when does the "early adopter" rebate expire?

9. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yeah guys, I think you could scare a lot of us into going "pro" if you gave a deadline for the rebate. If you said, "April 1st is the cut-off date for the $999 pro License", I'd be eating Ramen noodles for the next month trying to save up :wink:

I'm no marketing expert, but aren't scare tactics what keeps capitalism thriving, fear of being left behind, fear of Mr Ms Jones' grass being so much greener than mine? C'mon, scare me into believing that I need Unity Pro now!

Seriously, if some random day I look on the OTEE site and the price has jumped $1000 for pro I will be a bit dismayed. You should give us "early indie adopters" a heads up about this (a private e-mail would work).

10. dacloo

dacloo

I totally agree on the Early-bird stuff.

11. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

We'll give plenty of advance warning. We'll send a mail out to anybody who subscribed to the newsletter and post on the forum.

Don't Panic ;-)

12. Sync1B

Sync1B

shhhh.... dont tell them :wink: he was just joking....