Search Unity

Question Where Are The Best Hands on Tutorials With Exercises About Creating Cinematics?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Luvise, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Luvise

Luvise

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know where I can find the best hands on tutorials with exercises about creating cinematics in Unity, preferably for things like Combat or Fight Scenes. I really want to learn how to make better cinematics and how to portray a whole story with just one scene.

Do you guys have any suggestions or any tutorials that you can recommend to me? :)

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

Youtube channel like studioBinder, accentedCinema, corridor crews and some others the name escape me right now, they will teach you about "cinematics" in general, there isn't specific tutorials for unity beyond the tools manipulation. You will have to integrate these learning yourself for your own case.

Luvise likes this.
  3. gaborkb

gaborkb

Unity Technologies

I agree with neoshaman, studioBinder is great. For example, have a look at this video by them, where they sometimes show an abstract view of the camera positions, which makes it very clear. You can manually convert those to Cinemachine. If you'd like a great intro book, then I'd recommend "Film Directing Shot by Shot" by Steven D. Katz.

A good idea would be to look at real life scenarios or movies and take notes. ;)

If you'd like to a do cutscene, you could combine Cinemachine and Timeline.

If you'd like to do a dynamic shot of an ongoing fight scene, then you could do a sequence like this:
    1. Dolly Camera (Dolly Camera with track). Here you could do a circle around your fight ring. For example: create a vcam that follows the dolly cart and looks at the middle of the ring.
    2. Close up shot of fighter A in corner A.
    3. Close up shot of fighter B in corner B.
    4. Fight start, camera goes to the side with a target group. The target group holds both fighters, making sure they are always in the shot.
    5. If you know when a some events happen, then you can change virtual cameras to them when that happens. E.g. You know a knock out is happening or is about to happen, so you cut to your knock out virtual camera, that you specially fabricated for this purpose.

I am a newbie, so take my advice with caution :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Luvise likes this.
  4. patbaril

patbaril

Unity Technologies

I agree with @gaborkb, the Unity Timeline with a (or multiple) Cinemachine tracks is your best bet.
    With your editorial content in mind, you can simply add one Cinemachine Virtual Camera 'per shot' or 'cut' and use the multiple tools from Cinemachine to help you (Dolly track, LookAt, Follow). You can mix between Virtual camera as well.
    A bit like this:

upload_2020-8-20_12-26-45.png

Of course, each individual Cinemachine VCam have its own set of component and parameters.

Hope this help, let me know if you have any questions.

Luvise likes this.
  5. Luvise

Luvise

This is really big help, thank you so much for responding to me. :)